News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Western Docks  (Read 53273 times)

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 11
Re: Dover Western Docks
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 16:17:08 »
We only used minfits and hoppers on the E.K.L.R. in the late '70's, all 2 axle vehicles.The minfits would have higher sides than the one in DoverDan's photo but the same sort of doors and very dodgy they could be if not fastened properly.What was the one you mentioned Alastair?Was it mainly used for iron ore or suchlike?
Yes, there were hundreds of thousands of them over the railway network. There's a line of them in Doverdan's picture. Called mineral wagons and used for iron ore but used for coal as well. They're the reason
so many steam locos were preserved. Dai Woodhams bought up lots of locos and mineral wagons and could make a quicker profit cutting up the wagons so the locos were left alone on their sidings, and by the time Woodhams got to them, most of them had been sold for preservation.
Alastair

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 22:32:22 »
They're certainly similar to minfits in your nightscene DoverDan.They appear to be unfitted(no continuous automatic braking system) but by the time i started working with coal wagons they were nearly all fitted.This area went fully fitted after an accident around 1978.Those wagons forming a train would have had a guard's van at the rear out on the main line.I don't know if they were scrapped or converted.Studying your photo shows what looks like some loaded coal wagons being shunted in the background.I can recall the old hands talking about trips to Dover Gasworks with coal but not where it came from or how it was loaded into the rail wagons.I know a coal wharf was nearby.

DoverDan

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 20:08:15 »
I have posted this photo already in the Grand Shaft Barracks topic but i think it deserves a place here too.
It shows a night shift at Granville Dock during the late fifties/early sixties with plenty more of the rail wagons which might help to identify them.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 18:07:04 »
We only used minfits and hoppers on the E.K.L.R. in the late '70's, all 2 axle vehicles.The minfits would have higher sides than the one in DoverDan's photo but the same sort of doors and very dodgy they could be if not fastened properly.What was the one you mentioned Alastair?Was it mainly used for iron ore or suchlike?

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 17:00:35 »
Yes, they are good pictures, Doverdan. Isn't that railway wagon in the upper picture a steel mineral wagon?
Alastair

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 07:54:45 »
Nice pictures DoverDan,we were still unloading ships by the same methods 20 years later.I can't recall pit props going by rail in the late 1970's to Tilmanstone Colliery via the E.K.L.Railway though. That wagon is not a lot different to the Minfits we used to get the coal from the pit,except the wagon in your photo probably didn't have vacuum brakes.Anyone remember the tractor that used to push strings of rail wagons around these docks
and how the road would be closed while they were shunted between Granville and Wellington Docks?

DoverDan

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 20:00:11 »
Imported timber props being loaded for delivery to the Kent Coalfields 1950s.

Cargo vessel Flamingo offloading Wood pulp for the Kent papermills at Custom House Quay 1950s.

LenP

DoverDan

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 20:43:05 »

Dover Dan - 
date of picture?  1960s?
Ship on left looks a bit like the Royal Yacht.

The picture is from a book called 'Gateway of England' by Rivers scott published in 1956 by Dover Harbour Board to celebrate their 350th year.
I guess if this picture was commisioned by them it could have been taken in 1955 or early 1956.

strangelights

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 20:17:25 »
Cafe at the end of the pier shut down earlier this year.I think that the opening of the new cafe/watersports centre on the seafront probably took a lot of trade away.

LenP

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 19:46:11 »
Is there still a cafe at the end of the pier?

delboy

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 17:45:39 »
Ellenkate, I think you will find that it is the Trinity House pilot supply ship KIHNA that used to run the pilots down to the depot ship off Dungeness and bring  back the pilots that had brought ships up from down the coast. I was a galley/deck boy on there 1956/57. She used to lay at that position and we would pick up or drop them at the dumphead or if it was a bit rough onto the POW pier. Here she is at another angle, delboy

ellenkate

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 15:35:15 »

Dover Dan - 
date of picture?  1960s?
Ship on left looks a bit like the Royal Yacht.

DoverDan

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 14:38:02 »

ellenkate

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 12:02:27 »

An early picture of Western Docks:

Ellenkate

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines