News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ditton Laboratory  (Read 6009 times)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: Ditton Laboratory
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 15:29:08 »
Sad to report that Ditton Laboratory has now been completely demolished! Just a pile of rubble now. The site is due to be re-developed for ............ yes you guessed - housing!! Good luck with the de-contamination of the site first is all I can say!!  :)

cliveh

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:08:33 »
Sad to see it like that, I used to service the staff bar there in the 1970s, had to get the keyholdr from the Pomology labs, he was a Pomologoist- always thought he should have a hat with corks on the brim.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 17:47:08 »
Thanks Paul. Think that redevelopment's unlikely in the short term. Due to the chemical pollution there's a serious and expensive site decontamination operation to be considered even if the building was demolished.

Some of the land behind the main building is now in commercial use as a fish farm and a fruit distribution depot. It's always fun to meet a 40ft articulated lorry being driven by some mad Spaniard along the narrow lane on my way to work!! :)

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 17:00:34 »
Nice pics :)
It could be that its going to be redveloped or demolished?
Anyway we got pics of it....
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
Ditton Laboratory
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 16:55:27 »
I've been driving past this place twice a day for the last ten years and at last yesterday stopped a took a few pics.

Constructed in 1929 on a site adjacent to the East Malling Horticultural Research Station; this laboratory was created to work on problems encountered in the transportation of fruit from the southern hemisphere and other aspects of post-harvest research. By 1933 scientists from all over the world began to study there returning home to adapt the ideas and techniques developed there particularly with temperature controlled storage and distribution.

No sure exactly when it closed but I first noticed it being boarded up about 5 or 6 years ago. Apparantly the building is a bit of a bio hazard due to chemical residues built up over the years polluting the fabric of the building!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines