News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Benevolence and Charity in Kent  (Read 2886 times)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Benevolence and Charity in Kent
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 14:30:19 »
<<<<May be something to research into for someone with the necessary skills?>>>>>

A very good idea BUT there are over 100 reference threads to various Charities. I wish that I had the time !!!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Re: Benevolence and Charity in Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:43:19 »
Hi charity in Kent. As an ex Rochester man I often came across the Richard Watts charities.
The six poor travellers being the most well known I suppose.
I understand that the Charity operates a considerable number of charitable institutions in and around Rochester. I did some work for them some time ago, the clerk to the trustees was Mrs Barbara Emery a lovely lady to work for (now retired).
May be something to research into for someone with the necessary skills?

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
Benevolence and Charity in Kent
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 16:09:54 »
A few acts of BENEVOLENCE and CHARITY in Kent:

Waldershare:
In January 1840 it was reported that the Earl and Countess of Guilford had displayed their usual benevolence at Waldershare by slaughtering two fat oxen to distribute to upwards of 120 poor families, with bread, according to the numbers of their children,  and a comfortable supply of warm clothing was also distributed to about 70 poor people, with many blankets, rugs etc.  
The children of Waldershare school - 160 - enjoyed a good dinner of roast beef and plum pudding.

Wye:  Reported in a Kent newspaper that, during Christmas week 1800, S.E.SAWBRIDGE Esq. gave to the poor of Wye a fine bullock and large quantity of bread.  This and many other private charities had 'adorned' the character of this gentleman, and also the three Mr KENNETTs were not to be forgotten as they had been very liberal to many large families in Wye.

Maidstone:

At the end of December 1800,  Sir M. BLOXHAM, Knight, a Member for Maidstone  very liberally sent 26 barrels of salted beef, each weighing 300 lbs, for the use of the poor.

Dover:

SMITH John Esq., who lived at his 'seat' (the folly at the caves, Dover), and who was the father of that gallant commander Sir Sydney SMITH  on the 2 January 1801 gave a large quantity of beef, mutton and bread to 145 poor inhabitants of Dover.

Borden: End of September 1790,  benefactors gave John GREENSTED, farmer of Borden the gift of ?70 for loss of "his team" by the staggers (simi
lar I think to the 'mad cow disease' of today ?)

Dover:
John SHIPDEM Esq.,  the Mayor -  gave hot dinner and beer to prisoners in the new gaol at the Maison Dieu on Christmas Day 1835.

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines