News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medway Wheelers  (Read 8004 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Medway Wheelers
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 15:33:01 »
The Medway Wheelers were definitely the most famous of the cycling clubs in the area. Pete Beardsmore, Ken Joy & ( I think,Elliot) were the team that became British Best All rounder- Pete & Ken were regularly individual BAR's- in RTTC Time Trials in the late 1940's/ early '50's. Fixed wheel was mandatory in those days. Medway Road Club was the other major club at that time, altho' Medway Velo ( co-started late 40's by my cousin Eric Smith) was up & coming. They were affiliated to the BLRC, ( Wheelers & Road were NCU) & were very keen on " mass start" racing ( frowned on by the RTTC), so all had " Simplex" gears & colourful dress to emulate the " Continentals". Wigmore Cycling Club came a little bit later I believe & of course, there had always been the Medway Cyclist Touring Club. Wheelers & Road are no more- I don't know when they folded- but I believe Velo & Wigmore are still going. When I was in the Road, Boxley Hill was the local Hill Climb course & Headcorn had several Time Trial courses ( 10, 25, 30 & 50miles)- undulating roads but nothing too steep. A very popular venue for a morning break was the Singing Kettle ( I think on the A20, Harrietsham/ Lenham area) where we often met up with clubs from all over- London, etc. Of course, in those days there was very little traffic so club runs & racing were fairly safe- happy days. I certainly wouldn't want to venture out nowadays- but maybe I'm just getting old!  Dave Smith

pw

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 19:42:14 »
Hi Galgo23,

The Wheelers, I'm afraid, has no connection to the cycling club; it bears my family surname as we bought the land and created the close at the end of the 80's. Bit of useless info. for you, as they say.

Peter Wheeler

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 10:55:31 »
Hi Wardy.
Len had the bike shop under the arches on Corporation Street and then moved over the road to Rochester High St. Great shop under the arches but small and a lot of us would gather there to drink coffee and talk bikes and racing.
It seemed to deteriorate after they moved over the road and I think Len started flogging mopeds etc. as well. I know Len was good supporter of the local clubs and in turn everyone went to him for bikes and parts.
AlanH.

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:16:25 »
Didn't Len Chambers have a lot to do with The Wheelers?

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 18:47:08 »
"Medway Wheelers" the video, dedicated to June Lewis, Billys mum, a member of the Medway Wheelers cycle club 1944-54.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOo7DepCd9w

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:41:49 »
Rochester Velo Club, as it was known when I was a member used to meet in the Borstal Village hall. Some of the lads were certainly fanatics and I well remember Bert Wakeham who was fanatical about not getting his Cinneli bike wet! Boy could he go when clouds appeared.
I remember Richard Morphett (he's on this forum) and his bro plus a few others and we had some great club runs to all sorts of places.
Couldn't even imagine now the miles we did on our bikes. :) Great fun though.
Alan.

MOK

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 16:38:49 »
My brother in law was a member of the cycle club, he lived in Borstal, he was fanatical, had all Claude Butler, racers, fixed wheel and 5 speed, a trike and a tandem.
His name was John Turner, lived near a pub over there. He is dead now, his biggest misfortune was to marry my sister. :)

grantidge

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:52:04 »
My Dad, George Arthur Grant, belonged to several cycling clubs in Medway, including Medway Velo and a club for veterans, which he said was called The Wobblers. They cycled out to a nice country pub, had lunch and cycled back. I used to drive out to meet Dad sometimes and lunch with him and friends.

He was a champion cyclist in his youth, around the North East where he was from, and was an Olympic trialist. The war intervened and he served six years in the Royal Navy. On demob he resumed his cycling but not at the same level, sadly.

Did anyone know him?  (He died in 1997 and I still miss him.)

Jill

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:39:08 »
There used to be several clubs in the Medway area and one was affiliated to the Cyclist & Tourists Union who rode "fixed wheel "bikes and were known as union bums by the blokes like me who rode multi geared machines. I believe they came from the Gillingham/Wigmore area.
Many a chase started with them determined to get us for shouting out their nickname when we saw them going in the opposite direction! Luckily they never caught us mainly because having only 1 gear they had to slow down on hills going up or down.
Another club but Rochester based was Rochester Velo Club Olympique or something. A grand name and I believe one member went on to coach the Canadian Olympic cycling team. Don Sutherland his name was.
Sorry I can't drag any more info out of the old brain box but I'm thinking of back when I was a keen bike rider of 14 -15 before girls came into my life fulltime and then suddenly I had other things to expend my energy on....... :)
Alan.

Galgo23

Medway Wheelers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 21:23:51 »
OK, bit of a random one this, but Billy Childish and the Buff Medways recorded a song called "Medway Wheelers" which I believe was about a cycling club in Wigmore that his mother used to belong to. I notice that there is a cul-de-sac off Swain Road called The Wheelers. Does anyone know if there's a connection?  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines