News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Group 'H' transmitter, Folkestone  (Read 3878 times)

Andy C

Re: Group 'H' transmitter, Folkestone
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 23:20:28 »
Thanks for the extra info. The lady who submitted the memory to the project remarked that it was unusual in that the arial was stand alone and not near any tall buildings. She also remebered it being shut down when air raids were on their way in which, with the tip and run raids, would have been often at very short notice I guess.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
Re: Group 'H' transmitter, Folkestone
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:38:18 »
It was a sort of BBC repeater system that could be parcially shut down to stop enemy aircraft using the signal as a beacon.

This explains it better :)

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/info/bbc-am/home-front.shtml
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Andy C

Group 'H' transmitter, Folkestone
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:36:58 »
I was having a browse through the peoples war records in the Folkestone library when I came across an article about a Group 'H' transmiiter being within the grounds of the Harvey Grammar School Folkestone. Apparantley there was a chain of these built for communications in case the high power transmitters were destroyed. Does anybody know any more about these. Why would a school be chosen for such a site?

The building (a relatively small brick construction with a flat roof) is still there and doesn't look like its changed at all since I was at the school. In the mid to late 80's the school used to keep it's athletics gear in there - javelins, discus' etc. The radio mast has long since gone.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines