News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No.1 Machine Shop, Chatham Dockyard  (Read 6706 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
Re: No.1 Machine Shop, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 23:00:54 »
They are indeed in No 7 Slip, though the Historic Ships Volunteers have made a new set.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 23:39:02 »
I have always known this as "No. 1 Workbase", which I suspect is the later name, most recently it had a set of bending rolls in it, which are I believe, now in 7 covered slip (although they would be most useful in my shed).

Dave

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 23:32:26 »
No1 Dry Dock was filled in to make the space for these buildings. From Thunderbolt Pier, you can see where the entrance to the dock was.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:59:30 »
Thanks for adding that bromptonboy.  I'm looking forward to seeing this building once renovation is complete.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 08:14:00 »
Kyn, just picked-up on this thread.

The No1 Smithy was the last building in The Historic Dockyard to be listed on the English Heritage register of 'Buildings under threat'. That is it was in danger of falling down!

The Historic Dockyard Trust managed to bring together a project in partnership with the National Maritime Museum and the Imperial War Musuem to save the building through a scheme to create a National Ship Models Centre in the building which would see the building itself restored.

The centre will concentrate in one location some of the best ship models in the UK. Not just Royal Naval, bu
t great examples of other iconic ships - several thousand in all including some of the Navy Board models built in Chatham and Sheerness.

The original purpose of the building has not been forgotten with some of the remaining Smiths Hearths and equipment restored and on display. The restoration will also see the pipe-bending floor restored and opened to visitors, education rooms created and a top-class temporary exhibition hall created for travelling exhibitions.

The scheduled opening date is late-spring/early-summer 2010 with the exact date to be determined.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 19:06:45 »
They are restoring and repairing the building and it will be opened as a museum in conjunction with a couple other museums.  can't remember the exact details.  If i find the info i will post it later unless someone beats me to it :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 18:27:04 »
A part of a plan from 1953 showing the Machine Shop

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
No.1 Machine Shop, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:48:41 »
No.1 Machine Shop was built to two new engineering workshops to house the new machine tools for the construction of HMS Achilles, the first iron battleship built in a Royal Dockyard.  The single storey adjacent buildings retain their original structure and roof glazing.  The square building was the armour plate shop and was important as it was one of the first buildings for the introduction of iron and steel in shipbuilding technology.  The buildings were built C1860 and are now Grade II Listed and Scheduled Ancient Monuments, the armour plate shop is now a visitor cafe.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines