News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Datum Stone  (Read 3193 times)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: Datum Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 18:51:00 »
Thanks Ellenkate. I'd seen that thread before but it never connected with me when I saw the stone!

cliveh

ellenkate

Re: Datum Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:09:19 »
re the name RENNIE and date 1820, on the stone:  
here is a quote from a previous thread re the dockyard, by Kyn:

"In 1820 John Rennie designed and built Chatham's very first stone dry dock, along with this he designed and built the south dock pumping station, this was built in 1822 and originally housed a beam engine but this was replaced in 1929 by an electric pump.  The pumping station was the first steam powered pumping station to be built in Britain and was used to pump water from the three dry docks nearby and back into the River Medway by underground culverts.  The building houses a central boiler house with an enclosed chimney and two engine houses on either side, the engine houses were for Boulton and Watt beam engines.  The pumping station is still used today to empty the dry docks so unfortunately is not open to the public, the building is an Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade II listed."

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Datum Stone
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:42:53 »
Hi All

Noticed this datum stone on the wall below the Officers Terrace. Am I correct in presuming "Rennie" is the architect or builder of the Terrace?

TIA

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines