News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A. F. Smith, shops in Chatham and Rotchester.  (Read 10279 times)

LocalLad

Re: A. F. Smith, shops in Chatham and Rotchester.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 15:00:47 »
Wasn't there an A.F.Smiths in Duncan Rd,Gillingham?
Yes, quite right Merv, they were across the alley from the 'Plaza' cinema, it later become Alfred Olby's until they were taken over by Grahams who later took over Louie G Fords to become GrahamFords, alas its all gone now.
I've attached a scan of a newspaper cutting from last year, I think the photo is c1930, could be very wrong on that though.

>Sorry about the quality.

Thats interesting on the front of the motorcycle sidecar it says 'Radio Service' that wouldn't be anything like the AA or RAC would it. Puzzled.

NICK/SARAH

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 20:27:11 »
i -many years ago brought my first lot of horseriding stuff from AF Smith, upstairs used to be full to the brim of equestrian supplies and was the only local place for horsey stuff, shame its not open any more.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 19:10:36 »
Chatham, 1975,

2010, it took this today, see the buildings behind AF Smith have gone.

Paul Narramore

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 13:28:31 »
There was an Alan G Smith toolshop on Pudding Lane, Maidstone, but this seems to have changed it's name to something else. I've been to the AF Smith shop in Rochester, a positive goldmine of a place for the handyman/engineer/hobbyist. I really hope it's not going to close.

Merv

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 00:15:48 »
Wasn't there an A.F.Smiths in Duncan Rd,Gillingham?

aitch

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 20:08:49 »
Hi yes I remeber both Eric Flood and Mick Cotterell I was there 1972 until 1976 Eric used to drive a ford zodiaic (I think) and mick had a Hillman Avenger if I remember correctly!!!!

Eric flood was a great guy and I learned a great deal from them both about the motor business and life in general.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 19:51:35 »
Hi Aitch,

I know this is off the subject, but did you go to Medway College when you were at Rochester Motors? I was lecturing in the MV Section until July 1972. Eric Flood and Mick Cotterell were lecturers there after I left. Any memories?

Peterchall.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

aitch

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 17:54:05 »
Hi I'm new to the forum I was born in Gillingham and worked at Rochester Motor Co from 1972 until I left the Area in 1981.

I have many memories of A.F. Smiths shop in Rochester as it was "next door" and as a very green 16 year old apprentice spent many hours in there waiting for a "Long weigh" !!!!!

My own apprentis went throught the same saga a few years later as well as going round to ask for a left handed screwdriver and a bubble for a spirit level.

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 19:07:19 »
Was that the same as Alan Smith Tools? There was one in Earl St Maidstone opposite the theatre

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
A. F. Smith, shops in Chatham and Rotchester.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 13:39:01 »
These photos I took through the shop window.

The founder.

Chatham branch.

Rotchester branch.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines