News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remembering past shops in Sheppey  (Read 18300 times)

oldsunset

Re: Remembering past shops in Sheppey
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 19:15:56 »
not sure when but as shops and houses were added at one point all the streets had to be re numbered, mostly happened around the 1920s, featherstones family had a huge business and still own their old department store in chatham high street, as well as dozens of buildings all over kent.
 i rented a shop from mr featherstone in the 1980s, my shop was in rose street sheerness (now a curry house) but i had to go to their old store in chatham to meet him and sign the paperwork, the offices were up in the roof an amazing warren of ancient rooms, he was such a grand gent, its still there in the high street just past the sun pier and i think its rented out as units now but it still had the money canisters that wizzed around the ceiling remnant of its posh days.

busyglen

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 11:22:31 »
featherstones as it was 1920s;
photo link here;
http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/42243366

in 1880/90 it was the dress shop of Madam Knight costumier, i have a beaded victorian bodice made by her, sold to me by old mr moss when he had his antique shop in hope street ..many moons ago

I'm a bit puzzled here...(it doesn't take a lot these days)  :)

In the 1901 Local Directory, it does show Madam Knight Costumier still there at Pearl House, which is also shown as 32 Broadway at that time.  The picture from Trevs shows Featherstones as 174. ?

I know that there was a firm of Builders & Decorators around called Featherstones, but not sure if they went back that far. At one time they had the small shop next to the Castle Pub in the High St. (where the Cycle shop is now).

Perhaps someone else knows?

oldsunset

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 02:57:15 »
featherstones as it was 1920s;
photo link here;
http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/42243366

in 1880/90 it was the dress shop of Madam Knight costumier, i have a beaded victorian bodice made by her, sold to me by old mr moss when he had his antique shop in hope street ..many moons ago

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 22:05:30 »
One of my old shop photos.
Pearl House. It's at the corner of Alma Rd and The Broadway, for those who do not know where it is.
Taken in 2009.

I lived in the flat on the corner.

From Trevor Edward's Sheppey website.

busyglen

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 15:29:51 »
How about Featherstones, Pearl House, on the corner of Alma Rd. and the Broadway?

When I was in my teens, my mother used to go there to get me shoes, and occasional clothes.  She used to pay weekly and a man used to come out to us on his bicycle.  The shoe department used to be upstairs, and I can remember going there for my shoes.  I always thought it was a `posh' shop, as I'd only had `hand me down' clothes previously.  She also used to get my brothers shoes there, as well.

I was in an opera at the Secondary School, and needed a patchwork skirt as I was doing a dance as a gypsy.  I was over the moon when my mother gave me a parcel that contained this beautiful, full circle, patchwork skirt.  It must have cost a fortune, so how she afforded it I will never know, but it was one of the most treasured possessions I had for a long time.  That came from Featherstones.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:35:43 »
Seeing the advert for refrigerators reminded me of the first one we had. It had done the rounds before it got to us, my brother and his wife bought it brand new in Malta when he was stationed there about 1960, but it was a paraffin one , the tank was at the bottom, it only had a freezer big enough for a block of ice cream, when they came back to England, it went to my parents then to us when they bought a new one, it lasted for years . We lived in married quarters in Dargets Wood then and used to have a mobile shop round as there was only one shop on the estate, that man carried anything and everything including the paraffin and even had an 'on
 tick' book, that must have been about 1965. Shortly afterwards the new shops were built and we missed our old pal coming then we moved to Rochester and invested in an ELECTRIC fridge, oh happy days.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

busyglen

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:46 »
Any one rember Tindall's corner of Albion Place?

Yes I remember Tindalls.  You had to go up a couple of steep steps to get into the shop, and I used to pop in there sometimes for sweets on my way to school.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 15:43:27 »
First Ave, Eastchurch

There was a shop here once,It used to do those wrapped up little oblong Walls ice cream blocks with the square cones... :)
All thats left are the stairs, base and the memory. :(

Anybody know when it closed and the name of it?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

seafordpete

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 17:29:19 »
Any one rember Tindall's corner of Albion Place?

busyglen

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 17:01:12 »
anyone remember the name of the corner shop in new road near kent road ?
my hubby used to go there on his little red tricicle to get pigeon seed for his dad back in the late 50s/early 60s
he says it was such a big adventure as he was only 5

I think you are looking at what used to be the Corner shop in New Street, (the road just before Kent Rd.)  It used to be Gardners, but then changed hands, and I can't think what it was called now.  When my brothers and I were small, we used to go there with our ration books to buy our sweets.  We thought it was great when they came off ration, but unfortunately, we didn't have the money to buy them.

I can remember some of the lads going round to the side of the shop, and nipping into the gate where the empty bottles were put for collection, and then going into the shop with them as they were given coppers for their return.  They did this several times before they were caught!

Do you remember Jessie Lights, in Russell St?  We used to take our old jam jars and rags there to get money.

oldsunset

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 15:19:54 »
anyone remember the name of the corner shop in new road near kent road ?
my hubby used to go there on his little red tricicle to get pigeon seed for his dad back in the late 50s/early 60s
he says it was such a big adventure as he was only 5

busyglen

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 14:45:42 »
Yes I remember that....little goldmine.

Does anyone else remember Godwins or Mence Smith's?  I was only a child, but I `think' that Godwins sold curtains etc. possibly a Drapers, and Mence Smith's, I think sold things like, kettles, kitchenware etc. I  may be wrong, as it's about 60 years ago! 

There was also Kays Corner.  It was situated where the garage is on the corner of Invicta Rd. and the High St. I `think' there was a pet shop there and a sweet shop called Ferrells.

I remember when the road was made one-way along Cavour Rd and into Invicta Rd to the High St.  It was fairly new, when my brother went round the corner into Invicta Road on his bicycle and was hit by a chap going in the wrong direction in his car.  Luckily he wasn't badly hurt, but his bike was in a state, so my Father made sure he paid for a new one!

Then there was Hubbles, cooked meat shop, that was where Lloyds Bank is nowadays.

Must try and remember some more.

oldsunset

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 13:55:59 »
keep em coming..i for one love to see and remember the old shops.."kings stores" opposit fairy's decorating store was an aladins cave of everything you could ever want..i think he retired on the money i spent in there

busyglen

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:42:42 »
I'd forgotten that one Colin, although I remembered the Coop.  In fact the Coop virtually had the monopoly of the town then didn't it?  Food, Homewear, Shoes, Gents Outfitters, Ladies Fashion, etc.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 21:00:33 »
Coles Stationers, Sheerness High St. now and then, from my photos collection.

December, 1986.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines