News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anglo American Bookstall Chatham  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Re: Anglo American Bookstall Chatham
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 20:47:03 »
Remember it well, used to sell "Health & Efficiency" under a plain cover, so I was told :)

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
Re: Anglo American Bookstall Chatham
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 00:31:31 »
The old folk around our way used to call this shop The Rekay.............forerunner?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
Re: Anglo American Bookstall
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 16:00:58 »

I went to Chatham Tech as well, the metalworkshops were near the Technical institute. Remember soldering tinplate with Mr Tidswell and Mr Pepper in charge, with his "famous" joke about "not dead ghosts but killed spirits". I used to buy "Classics Illustrated" in the Anglo American, I wish I'd kept them having since found out some of them are selling for a lot of money. The rarest is Dr No, which I had - now worth over 500 quid! Bugger.

Terram

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:20:15 »
Went to Chatham Tech. which was split into 2, part up Maidstone Road and part down near the arches in the High Street and often went into the Anglo American after school to buy Camel or other exotic fags from the vast collection from around the World. Seem to remember they had also had a coffee bar in the rear of the shop, circa 1963/64.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 22:31:56 »
And American comics that we would read then walk around friends houses swapping them.

patmore

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 13:26:37 »
Always had a good selection of lighters as well .
                                                              James

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:48:44 »
Remember it well! Not so tiny as it went back quite deep. Joysticks, yes patmore and do you recall the blue and the yellow cigs they sold individually? Can`t remember what they were called.

patmore

Anglo American Bookstall Chatham
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:44:19 »
Does anyone remember the Anglo American Bookstall which stood in Chatham High St. just below the Ritz cinema, now the Gala, roughly where the traffic lights are now. This tiny little shop sold paperbacks, magazines, cigarette lighters and a very extensive range of cigarettes, particularly a long, double length thing called a 'joystick', which we lads would buy before going to see a film at the Ritz or nearby Regent. How times have changed!       James

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines