News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Yarrow", Bartons Hill, Minster?  (Read 5904 times)

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
Re: "Yarrow", Bartons Hill, Minster?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 23:34:42 »
I think I have my answer courtesy of www.old-maps.co.uk 1938-40 Kent:

and the plot outline is shown on the 1933 OS map.  Guess it was a newbuild in 1932/3.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 20:28:53 »
Thank you very much Minsterboy.  Just need to find out if it was built before 1933 now.

Minsterboy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 19:07:26 »
Yes, not far from the college side gate.

Deano

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 17:53:36 »
right near minster college/sheppey academy(east site) then.

Minsterboy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:23:46 »
Scoop,

Had a look at 81 Darlington this morning and it is indeed called "Yarrow".
Its at the furthest end from Bartons Hill Drive though, and is just round the corner from Parsonage Chase.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 23:42:11 »
Thanks for the info oldsunset.  I think I have found a bungalow, no 81 Darlington Drive off Barton Hill Drive that may be called Yarrow.  It's in the right area, and it looks to my untrained eye to be pre WW2.  It also seems of a completely different style to all other buildings in that street (Maybe 79 and 81 were once a single residence).  Google streetview has blurred the name on the front of the building, If anybody is passing it and could confirm its called "Yarrow", I'd be very grateful.

oldsunset

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:45:01 »
i believe the near by thistle hill estate was just named after wild plants found in that area, periwinkle etc and yarrow is a wild flower, maybe your rellies house was a light construction bungalow once so popular in on the island that has now disappeared under later developement, there were no house numbers on these old plots just names, copelands solicitors in the high street have massive old plot maps on the walls of their reception upstairs, they show a lot of the island roads divided into plots available at 10 each for building...wish i could time travel and snap them all up.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
"Yarrow", Bartons Hill, Minster?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 15:59:50 »
My family lived at "Yarrow", Bartons Hill in 1933.  Can anybody tell me anything about it? Was/is it a private house or something else? I understand a Yarrow Drive has recently been constructed as part of a housing development, I assume there is some connection there?
Thanks in advance.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines