News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deeds - Fountain Cottage, Marine Parade - Delamark Banks interest  (Read 26033 times)

oldsunset

Re: deeds fountain cottage marine parade- delamark banks interest
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 23:27:40 »
omg...thank you, to think i owned 5 constantia terrace and never saw this pic..love it heaps...as the deeds to redan show 1833 as the first date on the schedual these prints must date just after this but before fountain cottage was re-built in 1879 and the house added at the other end of its garden(snooker club)
what a treat to see the windmill pre seaview hotel days..ive never seen it in all its glory before, only from the painting done by batzer from his own guess work which ive never liked.
i must try to track down T.M.Rigg..were these prints from an old folio of the island ?
big thanks from me and most sheppey folk for sharing these precious images mr H.

Martin H

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 22:07:20 »
i do not know the answer to this, so how about some early prints of neptune terrace redan house and the Windmill I will post them now so you dont have to plead !!

I dont think they need explaining? see how you get on

busyglen

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 18:36:45 »

i wouldnt fancy paying for a sea water shower, i'd need another after to wash off the salt

Me neither....and not just because of the salt!  :)

Will have to do a bit of searching to see what I can find.

oldsunset

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 17:48:12 »
me puzzled too although we will probably never know, at this period in time (c1800 ?) most folk wouldnt have had piped fresh water indoors unless they had a lot of pennies, it would have been so expensive to get the water along marine parade to the house which would have stood alone then as i think most of the surrounding houses in the area werent built until the 1830s-60s ?
Anyone know when the 3 story houses in Alma Rd were built or Shrimp terrace ? I think Neptune terrace is abit older than them and holly house is the oldest (opp top of seager rd?)
i wouldnt fancy paying for a sea water shower, i'd need another after to wash off the salt

busyglen

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 16:02:22 »
That's brilliant to see those pictures.  I'm a bit puzzled though....it says on the card `Sea Bathing Establishment'.  I can see from the actual sketch that it shows the old horse drawn bathing huts in the water, which were used so that the ladies etc. could change in the hut, but the references to the `warm' and `cold' baths, makes me wonder if they were `sea water' baths.  Were there `bathrooms' in the house where salt water was used, or were they normal baths?  I'm really intrigued now. :)

oldsunset

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 21:18:16 »
oh my...AMAZING..thanks so much for showing this card.. this has made my day, fantastic to see such a rarity ..i had no idea that the terrace started life like this isnt it fabulous..gush gush..i expect i'm not the only one who will be bowled over to learn about this....you are a treasure bless you..

Martin H

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 22:41:29 »
OK as you asked nicely!

I do not know very mch about these items. Bath Cottage could have been the end house along from Neptune terrace , and I was told it was once the only place in sheerness you could get a bath.John Court had many businesses on the go it would seem.

oldsunset

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 00:27:35 »
brilliant mr H,.. strange (or big headed) that he had such a public portrait painted of himself. i didnt know about the bath house that is really interesting i'd love to hear more about that PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE
thanks paul for offering the tram store idea, i wonder why it was so tall, could it have had electric for the over head tram thingy ? sorry not sure what the arm on top of a tram is called.

this has turned out to be a really interesting post to read, such lovely photos

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 61
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 20:26:27 »

another puzzling postcard shows the newly added house but what is the tall
white cylinder in front of the house on the slope ?..an early public urinal ?

Ive had a really good look and cant find anything for that the "cylinder".
Its not a urinal as they were bigger??
I think it could be something to do with the Trams?
I've seen similar things that were used for storing tram related things.
I think they were called "blocks and shoes".
If a tram broke down it was a sort of spares store?
I've also seen them at seaside resorts with posters and advertising on them,But they may have been modern copies?
Its a could be? :)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

ellenkate

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 20:21:28 »

here is the 81 census:
Redan Place,  Minster in Sheppey Census 1881:
Film 134 1232 RG11 0979 / 105/ p.43:
Daniel COURT  head  Unmarried   46  Grocer, retired  born Sheerness
John  COURT   brother Unmarried   62  Surveyor  b. Sheerness
Sarah A. HARBEN  cousin Unmarried  female  47  Housekeeper (Dom)  b. Kingston, Surrey
    All these people are mentioned on the deeds
>

Note today:
The two men listed above, Daniel and John COURT, according to the above Census, were NOT married in 1881 - and did not have wives living in the household. 
Maybe Daniel married after this date, did you say one of them was a grandfather?  Perhaps it was another brother??

Ellenkate

Martin H

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 19:09:16 »
Just to clarify, Mr Cookney gave me the pics so it was his wife wo lived there in the 1980's The picture of the 2 men would be his grandfather and his gradfathers brother John and daniel Court. The Murial is of there father John Court the Elder. I also have some pepers relating to Bath House with the name John Court on I will look the them. It is a list of charges for hot or cold baths. Bath cottage is I believe the last house on the end of Neptune terrace.I will go through the Cookney stuff when I get time end see what else there is.
I think it is stagering that we have put phots against these names on the deeds, it shows the power of this type of site. Mr Cookney was a member of the Sheppey Local History society and he would  have been delighted by your interest in his family.Will try not to keep you waiting to long!!

busyglen

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 18:26:01 »
Thanks for showing these fantastic photos!  Although I have looked at Trevs site, until someone raises a query, you don't actually absorb what you are seeing every time.  Great stuff!

seafordpete

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 13:28:59 »
what is the tall
white cylinder in front of the house on the slope http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/118101100

Looks very like what in Paris are called Collonne Maurice and used for advertising, Some modern versions around too- saw one in Brighton last week.

oldsunset

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:50:40 »
The murial and arches removed c1900 and new front door to fountain cott added same time as
new house built at the opposit end of fountain cottage garden  (now the snooker club)Aurora villa ?
They must have shared the garden
photo link; http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/113568683

another puzzling postcard shows the newly added house but what is the tall
white cylinder in front of the house on the slope ?..an early public urinal ?
http://www.pbase.com/luckytrev/image/118101100

oldsunset

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:30:05 »
just notice in the photo link i just added that the roof line shows redan and fountain had back gardens originally too, and were just 2 up 2 downs, i guess they all had extensions at some time to add bathrooms and kitchens as the backyards have gone

also interesting to see that the plaque for fountain cottage gives the date 1878, the date the extension was added rather than the original date in the deeds of 1833

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines