News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strood Creeks - Jane's, Temple, Pelican..... more.....? Past & Future  (Read 31732 times)

Galgo23

Whoops, sorry Chris,

I didn't know those pictures were yours.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
On the subject of the railway station area, Smetham's History of Strood says that the area was covered in inlets and creeks:

" When the tunnel was cut the chalk then excavated was placed upon the land now forming the site covered by the South-eastern railway
goods sidings, &c., and the quantity was such that it towered up into miniature mountains, ships being allowed to ballast free from the accumulation. When the land was ultimately diverted from its former pastoral purposes these creeks were filled up with this excavated
material, and thus the dry land appear
ed. "

• Appreciation 6
And just to show there's no ill-feeling, here's a more recent pic of the creek by Morrison's, taken from across the river:

• Appreciation 6
It's not quite what you're after but here's a couple of pictures of the old Strood basin, around 1984.  :)

As the photographer of the two photos in post no2 (Strood canal basin), I'd like to make it clear that:
1) they come from the site http://www.kentrail.co.uk/Strood.htm.
2)
I've no objection to them being used here, whatever the owner of kentrail.co.uk has as a copyright policy.

Regards,
Chris.

Starboyx23

some more nice old pics - thanks for sharing
The land behind Morrisons is still unused - managed to get on there a few years back and you can see clear foundations for buildings etc. All overgrown now. I've always assumed its owned by the boat yard next door, but I don't know. I'm sure within 5 years it will be a couple of blocks of apartments (as long as they fix that river wall!)
I walk along there at least a few times a week, and the base to the railway bridge always makes me smile - held together with the metal braces. I guess it must be safe, and it fits with the delapidated con
dition of the rest of the creek.
I know what you mean about the pumping station. It looks like its been there for years, but It just seemed to 'appear'.
Maybe there is a date somewhere on the brickwork. I'll try and take a look.

Does anyone know the plans for the Civic Centre site?
Someone told me its going to be used as a carpark for the forseeable future. I can't believe they tore down that beautiful old building just to let the ground stand empty.
I really hope that something just as impressive is constructed in its place.
And I also hope that the Archives stay there when ever the area is redeveloped.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
It's not quite what you're after but here's a couple of pictures of the old Strood basin, around 1984.  :)

Ahh! EPB units in British Rail Blue & Grey!

The Rook

Janes Creek, 1969. Winget apprentices practising for the annual raft race. Taken from the Morrissons side of the creek, which in the early 80's was the Winget car park.

I've got to say, that looks like a shed load of retro fun!

Starboyx23

great picture, thanks so much for finding it and putting it up.
Very interesting

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Picture of present-day Janes Creek on here http://www.move2medway.co.uk/index.php?main=results&id=155  - image 23

I'll have a look for some other pictures.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Starboyx23

thats fantastic to see, thank you so much
My memories of the area start at around 1983 so I guess that was when everything was being closed down.
There must be some interesting things under the tarmac of the Civic Centre carpark.

Starboyx23

I did not know that!
thanks!
Do you remember the name of the factory (I think it was a clothes factory) that stood where Matalan is now? I think it occupied the whole space of the retail park carpark too. I seem to remember it was a large building (but only 1 or 2 stories tall) and memory wants me to think it was in a 50's style (although Im probably wrong) - It faced onto Corperation Street (there was a car showroom, Nissan I think, across the street - where McDonalds is now)
I can remember it closing down, but not sure if B&Q was built before or after it closed down and was demolis
hed.
I'm wondering whether that factory was built while the creeks were still used and if it used them at all?

jamie_st200

Does anyone have any memories or photos of the various creeks in Strood in their heyday? I'd love to see how they were used for shipping and trade for the riverside industries.
Jane's Creek is obviously still there.... I know this place often looks grim, but since it was cleaned of all the rubbish a few years back, it can look quite nice at certain times of the day. I quite like the fact that the side opposite the Civic Centre carpark is so delapidated and overgrown. You can see its history from the old woo
den walls, but nature has reclaimed them. I've always kinda hoped someone would clear it of the silt, which would improve the look - but I guess there is alot of wildlife in there that enjoys the mud. I think it originally ran further into Strood.
Pelican Creek ran off of this Creek, where B&Q carpark is. Temple Creek ran up Priory Road (I think). You can still see it's entrance if you look behind Morrison's Petrol Station. You can also see it clearly from the Medway Valley trainline from Strood to Maidstone.
There were various little wharfs running along the riverbank to the Thames Canal entrance too. I'd like to see pics of the Watermill too if anyone has any.... Does anyone know what the Watermill did? I know how it worked, I was just wondering what it produced?
One last thing.
With the demolition of the Civic Centre, the area by the bridge is obviously ripe for redevelopment - I fear for the future of Jane's Creek - anyone know the plans for it? Will it
be retained?
I hope so......

useless info for you -

janes creek ran up to alma place and often flooded the temple street area, The land in between janes creek and temple creek was owned by charles roach smith who owned temple house - the conservative club on cuxton road.

Galgo23

Here's a good resource for old photos of old Strood and the Medway towns.  :)

http://www.medway.gov.uk/medwayimages/

Starboyx23

Thanks!
really good to see those pics....
looks so different now

Galgo23

It's not quite what you're after but here's a couple of pictures of the old Strood basin, around 1984.  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines