News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strood Creeks - Jane's, Temple, Pelican..... more.....? Past & Future  (Read 33009 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
Re: Strood Creeks - Jane's, Temple, Pelican..... more.....? Past & Future
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 20:29:42 »
Great stuff. Thanks. S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2011, 20:23:08 »
... got anymore? S4.

As it happens, yes...
Now and then from the tunnel mouth (repeating my earlier photo for comparison)

An atmospheric view of the basin, 1984

and the lock gates the same day in 1984

And the creek before Morrisons was there, back in 1984, with a dodgy-looking houseboat

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 22:40:15 »
I have certainly enjoyed the two pics of the basin. In the first there is a very interesting hull up on the slip on the opposite of the river. Also these pics show two almost extinct locos, in the first there are two class 73's and the second is a class 33 (Crompton). Good stuff, got anymore? S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 22:02:03 »
reply #4 the water also used to flood the cellar of the Cricketers pub now renamed The Alma giving it the nickname the Swamp

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 21:52:30 »

I remember walking across the lock gates a few times about 1974 when I had a summer job at Medway Buildings in Commissioners Road. It seemed a a bit precarious if I remember rightly, not exactly well maintained  :)
In the 50s a few of us used to get the train to Strood and walk across the locks to the streams that ran where Whitewall creek was before there where all the warehouses were along there to catch tadpoles newts etc. I remember one time splitting the crouch of my trousers so bad they were virtually in two halves, I never knew why but for some reason one of the lads had two pairs of trousers on certainly saved me a lot of embarrassment on the way home

Starboyx23

fascinating memories and photos guys.... so great to see!

I have a memory which I think must be from the early 90's .... you could still cross via the lockgates (they were in a poor state - but not as bad as the pics above) -  soon after the alternative pathway was put in place however. I remember thinking it was quite sad that this cool looking rickety curiosity was now sealed off from use.

There is a very similar 'pathway' that goes across the lock gates on St Mary's Island.... the entrance to the Marina opposite Upnor. These lock gates are modern and hydraulic though!

• Appreciation 6
fcs - don't think you could ease that corner effectively between tunnel and platforms without moving either the tunnel or the platforms, neither of which would be practicable. Anyway, most of the trains through Strood stop there, and there's another sharp curve onto Rochester Bridge.
Also, that's quite a common thing with big construction projects - use excavated bits from holes you do want to fill in holes you don't. Muck-shifting is expensive.
TW - the nearest supermarket trolley source might have been the High Street, where there was a cheap supermarket, originally Fine Fare when I was growing up, but latterly something like Aldi, or they could have come from Morrison's (when did that open?).
I often saw the little locos in the yard, but never saw anything arrive.
Getting a bit off-topic now from the creeks...

farthingcornerservices

I wonder if they could have used the spare land for somehow taking the tight corner of the railway at Strood?  Too late now.  Also its really interesting that local earth was used to fill in the basin.  Something similar happened with the CTRL, North Downs Tunnel and the widening of the M2.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
Many thanks CEFS for your information and photos and nice to see your Dad in one of the photos.When i dug my old street atlas out i realised which way the footpath used to go.Going by your first photo was there a supermarket nearby or were the scroats pushing those trollies from miles around?I used to come round that way on some turns when they still had guards on the slam door stock.My mate told me they had a freight turn with wagons for the sidings where the little loco would come out onto the main line(unofficially)and shunt the wagons back into the sidings.

• Appreciation 6
Back to the source of the sandy soil for filling in Strood basin. I found the photos and scanned them in: these two photos are taken from below Temple Gardens, where the industrial units are now. You can see the colour the same as in my photo above. I think the footpath from Temple Gardens went more or less straight down before this work was done. After, they diverted it with a right-angle bend to the right below the railway bridge, a steep slope down and a right-angle bend to the left at the bottom.
The first photo has the Rochester-Sole Street railway up on the right. I'm looking more or less south:

The next one shows the pipe, plus my dad for scale. He must have had a reason for thinking it was an artesian well, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. Can't ask him now, sadly.
I'm looking more or less north (Frindsbury church on the skyline?):

• Appreciation 6
So I take it they filled in the Strood Basin and built houses on it?
Yes, in 1985. The sandy soil came from along Knight Road, where the footpath comes down steeply from Temple Gardens over a railway bridge: that land used to be much higher up by the railway to Sole Street, and got excavated for more industrial units. There was a vertical pipe in the middle of the excavation that my dad took to be an artesian well. I took a photo, but can't find it (maybe not yet scanned)
Anyway, Strood basin in 1984:

Strood basin in 1985:

• Appreciation 6
TowerWill - in answer to your earlier question, my photo on page 1 of this thread is taken from the bottom (river end) lock gate, the one with the footpath over it, and so you can only see the top (inland) lock gate. It was in a pretty poor state even in the early 1980s when I took that photo, and remained gently deteriorating after they filled in the basin. Was still visible after they put in a replacement path more recently.
Here's a 2003 photo, from the replacement path:

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
What fun seafordpete!I can just imagine the scene with the tide trickling back through the broken lockgate,the bubbling mud and the gentle talk of the squaddies.I can set a similar jolly scene on the pier at Dover cleaning the outsides of trains with a gale raging, also at 2 AM.Anyway it seems those lockgates were nearly past it by the 1970's.Strood Creek and Whitehall Creek(think that's the name) are the only two i can remember from my travels to the Strood area.

seafordpete

The basin was a great favourite of the instructors at Lodge Hill camp in the late 1970s, their idea of fun was to set up an unexploded bomb task on a rising tide in the mud about 2am in November- such fun, how we enjoyed it as hypothermia set in and you didn't know if your fingers were black from the stinking mud or frostbite. The gates were shot by then but the footway across the top was just about manageable

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
Glad someone remembers it Smiffy.What i can remember of it back in the '60's was that it wasn't in too bad a state.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines