News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buckland Paper Mill near Dover  (Read 7058 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
Re: Buckland Paper Mill near Dover
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 16:05:16 »
Please don't post repeatedly in the topics.  If you want to advertise and ask for contributors please do so in General chat.

Offline CBen

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 13:48:48 »
The British Association of Paper Historians are working to record information about UK paper & board mills that have shut since 1970, of which there are very many. We are using a forum to archive people’s memories, together with records of more formal information sources of to provide researchers of the future a better picture of the industry where we spent so much time and effort.
The address for Buckland Mill is: http://www.baph.org.uk/forum/topic/buckland-paper-mill-dover/

Any input would be welcome.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 13:54:42 »
Buckland's fading glory - Part one of a two part article

The first reference to a Buckland Mill is in an old Dover Charter from 1451 dealing with the granting of  Mill Land lying in Buckland to Sir Thomas Moys. Probably a corn mill, it may have some connection with the development of the paper mill in later years.

Two paper mills have operated at Buckland, Lower Buckland Mill which was situated at the rear of Mannerings Flour Mill and Buckland Mill, straddling the River Dour between Crabble Meadows and Crabble Hill. Early records that refer to the papermaking in Buckland though do not differentiate between the two mills, making historical research difficult.

The earliest proof of Buckland Mill itself is contained in a 1770 watercolour by T. Forest of “Buckland Paper Mill from the Churchyard”. At this time, paper was made by hand, producing only a few hundredweights of paper in a week and the picture shows a two storey house with a water wheel shaft entering the building at one end. Records show that Ingram Horne was the occupier of the Mill and in 1800 Edward Hasted wrote in his survey of Kent, “There is here likewise another paper-mill, occupied by Mr. Horne, being a beneficial lease from the archbishop, the works of which have been likewise much enlarged. These have considerably increased the population of this parish within these few years, the manufacturers employed in them being very numerous, consisting of men, women, and children, who earn their constant daily bread, in making the different sorts of paper at these mills”.

In 1799 Ingram, along with his brother Thomas, bought both Buckland Mill and Charlton Mill from the Archbishop of Canterbury for £822.10s (£26,459.83 in todays currency) having previously leased them at the rate of £5.10s (£176.94) annually. Ingram took over the running of Buckland Mill, with Thomas taking over Charlton Mill for a brief period before his death. It was also around this time that the Buckland House was built as the Horn family home (the name was later changed to Buckland Bridge House when the present Grade II listed Buckland House was built).

On January 6, 1814, the mill was destroyed in a massive fire, following which Thomas Horn was moved to write to the Kentish Gazette that [he was], “Impressed with gratitude for the very prompt and great exertions of those gentlemen who, by their example, and with the united efforts of numerous others, to arrest the progress of the flames at the late calamitous destruction of my manufacturing and dwelling house at Buckland, and who rescued from the devouring element part of my property, I beg to offer my sincere thanks and also to the officers and privates of the Dover Garrison, whose appearance at the spot -very early after the alarm, and by their activity and long continuance rendered me most essential services”

The Mill was rebuilt after the fire and considerably enlarged. The keystone of an arch over the waterwheel race bears the inscription T.H 1814 and remains today as a monument to the endeavours of the Horn family.

In 1817 the rebuilt mill was offered for sale by the Horn family at a time when significant new advances were being made in the paper making process. In 1799, a Frenchman, Louis Robert, had invented a machine which could produce a sheet of paper 12 feet long. An English engineer named Donkin made improvements to it and finally two stationers, named Fourdrinier, took over all interests in the machine. The owner of Crabble Mill, William Phipps, installed one of the first of these machines in England sometime around 1807 but it was to be several decades before this machinery came to Buckland.

During the mid 19th century the lease of the Mill passed through a number of hands. In 1822 Buckland Mill was occupied by George Dickinson, an ambitious man who, in 1828, patented an improvement to the papermaking machine by giving a vertical motion to the endless web where it first received the pulp. He followed this in 1833 by patenting a way of making laid paper by using threads or yarns instead or wires. Unfortunately Dickinson, despite being clearly progressive by his introduction of white papers to Buckland, overextended himself financially and became bankrupt in 1837.

After Dickinson’s failure, the mill appears to have remained unoccupied for several years. In 1846 it was occupied under lease by Mr Weatherley and on his death in 1849 it passed briefly on to his brother, before the Horn’s finally sold the site to Charles Ashdown.

In l877 Charles Ashdown’s son Henry, who ran the mill for his father, died. His other son Charles, who worked in a local bank, came into the business with his father but, lacking any practical experience, was faced with many difficulties. Charles Ashdown (senior) offered Henry Hobday, (at the time General Manager of Snodland Mill), an equal partnership in the business with his son. Henry Hobday accepted and the business went on to trade under the name of Ashdown & Hobday.

The partnership was a success and the business expanded. Paper production rose from two tons to seven tons per week, whilst the range of papers manufactured increased hugely. Then, in 1887, yet another disastrous fire occurred destroying much of the mill, along with machinery and stock.

With a great effort the mill was rebuilt and operating within nine months, with a weekly output of twelve tons, but too much business had been lost and capital was low. For three years Ashdown & Hobday struggled on, slowly improving their position, until in 1890 they reluctantly accepted an offer from Wiggins Teape & Co to buy the mill for £20,000 (£1,197,800.00).

Part Two: The Wiggins Teape era.

Text ©Paul Isles/Dover Life Magazine
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

godzilla73

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 21:35:58 »
Thanks very much everyone. Must try to get a look at this when I am down next.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 20:03:45 »
Sorry to dig this one up - but does anyone know what is happening to the paper mill site at the moment? I see the outside is still intact (I believe its listed) but if anyone has walked along the Crabble Meadow side perhaps they could give a report. I'm not in Dover much so don't know. I assume the money has run out on the redevelopment.

Most of the buildings have been demolished and the river uncovered. The electricty generating building that was installed, the surplus energy was sold to DHB, is still there but I dont think it is operational.
It was water powered by the river to produce electricty and there was a cable installed from there to the docks for DHB,(dug half of Dover up to install it), but the mill closed a few years later. There is supposed to be housing, community centre,restaurant come pub, and health centre built there but its all on hold. delboy

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 20:01:30 »
Planning permission for a care home and housing on the site was passed in August 2009. 30% of the housing is said to be 'affordable housing'. Which means by definition 70% must be un-affordable.  :)
Work should have started this year.

This is from DDC's website for Planning Applications...
"Mixed use development (new build and change of use) comprising detailed proposals (phase 1) for 141 residential units, retail (A1), offices (B1), cafe/restaurant bar (A4/A5), 'community hub' (D1/B1), open space, landscaping, parking and access and outline proposals (phases 1A, 2, 3
& 4) for up to 265 residential units, 80 bed nursing home and access - all other matters (layout, scale, appearance and landscaping) reserved."
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

godzilla73

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 18:13:01 »
Sorry to dig this one up - but does anyone know what is happening to the paper mill site at the moment? I see the outside is still intact (I believe its listed) but if anyone has walked along the Crabble Meadow side perhaps they could give a report. I'm not in Dover much so don't know. I assume the money has run out on the redevelopment.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
Buckland Paper Mill near Dover
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 20:38:50 »
Buckland Paper Mill:

AN EARLY FIRE is reported in the diary of Thomas Pattenden of Dover:
      Mr. Horn's papermill at Buckland and house were burnt down 6.1.1814
      (Kent Co.Archives, diary is on film at Dover Ref.Library)
      ADVERTISEMENT in July 1818: TO LET - A papermill, recently rebuilt at Buckland, within one mile of Dover, having a   
      large breast-shot water wheel with a good fall, supplied by a powerful stream of water having three vats at this time at work on 

blue and brown papers and a thorough completed for another wheel sufficient to drive two vats with a capital spring of washing
      water;  or if required will drive three pair of stones and dressing tackle, with drying loft, boiler and pipes for drying paper for five
      vats, and a reserve convenience for putting up a paper machine if required.
         An eligible dwelling house is attached to the mill and every other convenience for carrying on an extensive trade.
         For further particulars apply to Thomas HORN, Buckland ? all letters post paid will be duly attended to.
                                                  ----------------------------------
A pottery box commemorating 200 years of the papermaking business at Buckland paper mill:
>                 

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines