News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shops in Britton St. Gillingham.  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 2
Re: Shops in Britton St. Gillingham.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 13:29:36 »
My brother and I usesd to go in that sweet shop as well,4 fruitsalads or blackjacks for a 1d.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 22:27:40 »
I rememember Ray's chip bar, going in there and asking for a bag of crackling, that was in the 60's, we lived in Saxton street.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 18:07:13 »
Locallad, I was standing in Britton St. opposite what was Ray's Fish and chip shop, the owner now has been ther since 1980.  There still is a sweet shop behind me.

From my Old Shops collection.

Ray's shop today, 2010.

LocalLad

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:21:38 »
Lovely picture Colin,

But it looks like its the junction with Lock Street, the High St would be beyone the structure built across the road, I remember in the 50's on the corner in view would have been a bakers shop, on the corner just out of shot was an Off-License, I recall they had 2 enormous alsatians that used to come bounding out from the back and stand with their paws on the counter whenever anyone entered the shop, used to scare the daylights out of me, behind the camera a general shop, while on the other corner was Ray's fish shop.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
Shops in Britton St. Gillingham.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 20:36:20 »
The lower end of Britton St. used to have shops on both sides of ther road. They suffered bomb damage and were knocked down, they were where the flats are now.  The apart from the new flats on the corner joining the High St. the rest have been there since 1980 at least.

My photo.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines