News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Dockyard Pumping House  (Read 8358 times)

david brown

Re: Sheerness Dockyard Pumping House
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 19:11:08 »
When the drydocks were in use and the pump house was working the drydocks water would come bubbling out of the drains opposite the fountain hotel
When I worked in Pier House Blue Town 87-92 we always new when a vessel was docking or undocking by the the large pond in the road
Does anybody remember this event as it must have cause problems in the cellars of the houses

Stuey101

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:07:18 »
Top of the wells are still open. Ladders go down to a platform then below that is water.  I guy in engineering told me there used to be a tunnel leading from the pump house into blue town but was sealed up years ago. No idea how true this is as we've all heard plenty of tunnel rumours down the years.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 23:01:18 »
Are the top of the well/wells open or have they been sealed?

Stuey101

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 12:58:33 »
A couple of pics from inside the ground floor of the pump house.

Stuey101

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 11:55:36 »
The equipment still works but is not in use. Enginnering have a pump down the well that they use but not sure of its exact purpose. Last time I looked inside there was hundreds of bird skeletons plus a few live ones. The whole building is in a pretty bad state & I did hear the port are looking into knocking it down due to it been an eyesore although I doubt it will happen.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 17:33:42 »
The well in the dockyard is an artisian well so pumps of this size (if any) would not be needed.  I do wonder if this was purely for pumping out excess water around the dockyard and Bluetown or for that use and for the basins/docks  ???

smiler

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 16:57:29 »
It is possible that the Dockyard Pumping House Pump was not used to draw drinking water from the deep Freashwater well, but used to pump out the Dry Dock Basins after a ship had been shored upwright in the flooded basin, some water could be released into the sea at low tide through the drain cocks into the sea, the remainder by the pumps.
If a ship having been repaired was to leave the Drydock, a low tide entering the open gates might not be sufficiant to raise it. so the Basin was filled to the brim via the Pump house prior to opening the gates.
There was or might still be many underground chambers under the docks that did also need to be pumped dry.
The cellers of the Royal Fountain ( just outside the Bluetown Wall ) flooded regularly so we filled them in and concreted the floors over.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:04:11 »
I have'nt got any pics although a few guys on here might have more information about it.  I know it is still in use, splashdown once said if they stopped it Bluetown would flood...

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 22
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:34:27 »
hmmm, tell me more - any recent pics?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Sheerness Dockyard Pumping House
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:05:10 »
Built as part of the rebuilding works that started in 1813.

This building still remains although i am unsure of what remains inside the building...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines