News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Cemeteries  (Read 11812 times)

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
Re: Dover Cemeteries
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 21:23:21 »
There's a thread about odd place names and Ticklebelly Alley is one of them. There's one in Deal and several other towns, so it's a general name, like High Street. As far as I can make out from looking on the net it describes an unmade, rough track.

Regarding the Faversham Ticklebelly Alley Local historian Arthur Percival has this to say about it's origin. "It's a jocular name used to connote locations used by courting (or even non-courting) couples, if you follow my meaning".

http://www.faversham.org/forum/discussion.aspx?f=4&t=189

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 16:05:52 »
No improvements to the alley then DS239. Many areas in Dover are in a neglected state.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 12:16:03 »
Ticklebelly Alley in 2014:

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:47 »

From Google Earth street scenes.A bit farther up the Old Charlton Road is St.James' Cemetery where the fallen from the Zeebrugge raid are buried.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 09:54:11 »

From Google Earth street scenes.This interesting photo shows two of the cemeteries and the Old Charlton Road end of Ticklebelly Alley.The quiet Chalky Lane(Old Charlton Road)once had full dustcarts going up and coming back empty as well as large lorries carrying chalk coming down.The Roman Road is the Roman route from Dover to Richborough Castle and provides some nice walks.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 10:44:39 »

Ticklebelly Alley summer 1994.Looking in the other direction towards the cemetery footbridge.A bit overgrown but a lot cleaner back then.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 20:48:39 »
Thanks for that information Alastair.Sadly that pretty well describes that path in places now.Just past the park toilet blocks it's covered in decaying leaf mould so i took to the cemetery.The council tax wasn't frozen in recent years but none was spent here that's certain.The cemetery and park look nice though.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 17:12:23 »
There's a thread about odd place names and Ticklebelly Alley is one of them. There's one in Deal and several other towns, so it's a general name, like High Street. As far as I can make out from looking on the net it describes an unmade, rough track.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 13:55:27 »

Looking in the opposite direction to ellenkate's photo.Ticklebelly Alley behind the hedge on the left.Long Hill in the distance,railway cutting behind the tree line middle distance.We never did know how the alley was so named, ellenkate.I expect that was my first question when first shown the alley.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:36:27 »

I wonder where the name Tickle belly alley came from, may be from an old field name,  I believe there is one with this name in Faversham (and Deal ??)

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:55:11 »

Ticklebelly Alley.Cemetery on the left,Connaught Park on the right.I believe those are the toilet buildings.

Ticklebelly Alley roadbridge.Path looks as though it hasn't been cleaned in years.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 22:51:23 »
That probably explains the boys in shorts etc i used to see under that bridge Andyb.Over a decade earlier we had a similar run at Castlemount school but the so and so of a P.E. master could be hiding somewhere watching.Teachers were often keen to apply a cane to the hand or bottom of naughty children back then so hiding up alleys was not advisable!

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 18:50:14 »
I remember the road bridge now, we used to hide there when on cross country from St Edmunds school in the late 70's, instead of running up to the top of the old Charlton hill, past the barracks and then down water works hill.
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:21:25 »
Yes delboy i heard about you rascals doing that!Another way was to go through the cemetery,over into the cowfield and then over the park fence which brought you out onto the top path.Of course one had to watch out for keeper Bowcock(think that was his name)who had a knack of finding mischievious children and ejecting them from the park.Both brothers are gone now as you know but the elder one was employed as a grave digger in these cemeteries for some time.That chalk wants some digging too.He said they often found bones from previous burials when digging a new grave.One had to also keep an eye out for old Redge,the special constable who patrolled the area,including the Castle.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 17:35:37 »
Myself and my mates,including your brothers towerwill, used to go up Chalky Lane and go along Ticklebelly alley and climb over the park fence behind the gents toilets to sneak into the summer show and firework display that they used to have in August. Sadly no more.delboy 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines