News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Cemeteries  (Read 11806 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Dover Cemeteries
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 07:49:09 »
That's right ellenkate,one can only guess how it got that name.I rather liked the bit that went under the road bridge with a brick lined cutting.That provided a source for various games.The alley is probably a hideaway for local school kids now at break time.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:11:08 »

Tower Will - ah memories!   What a wonderful name, 'Tickle Belly Alley'

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:38 »

From Google Earth.

Thanks Ellenkate.Yes i found in one of my books that the park opened in that year.Interesting to see both the chapels appear to have gone now.The left hand one in your photo(right hand turning circle in GE) was demolished long ago.I can't recall for sure if it was there in the 1950's.I see in your photo and GE above that the sunken footpath we knew as Tickle Belly Alley can be seen.This has a road bridge and a foot bridge across it between the cemeteries.The site for new graves(GE upper right) was started in more recent decades as i remember it as a meadow that we used to cross to get to the cow field behind it.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 21:13:08 »
Tower Will -

I think Connaught Park opened about 1883,  and this photo above would almost certainly be before then.
I think St Marys Cemetery was opened about May 1870,  the photo could be about 1880 I guess.

Ellenkate

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:37:57 »
An interesting plate Ellenkate.Would that be before Connaught Park was constructed?I can see the area where i've got the Old Folks buried on the right above Chalky Lane.I can recall that chapel on two cold winters days in 1982.Incidentally i see the West Wing Fort had a nice clear line of fire(from top left of your plate).

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
Dover Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:11:48 »

Here is an early view from glass plate negative showing St Marys cemetery etc. at Dover:

Ellenkate

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines