News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 42 Biggin Street, Dover  (Read 2736 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
Re: 42 Biggin Street, Dover
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:39:17 »
I think the Bear of Biggin St. may a "Bear and Ragged Staff", the same as used for many pub signs and on the Warwick Coat of Arms. I've tried to zoom in on the M&S photo which shows a little more detail, and a comparison. But why a Warwick bear is to found in Dover...?

Offline Jackiehurman

• Appreciation 0
Re: 43 Biggin Street, Dover
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 00:44:51 »
Thank you for the link to the photo of 1912 Marks and Spencer store: It's tempting to think one can make out the barbers pole in the bears paws.

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 19:57:26 »
43 Biggin Street, Dover, Kent CT16 1DB was the site of Marks & Spencer Ltd. first store in Dover, opened in 1912

Please see here 43 Biggin Street

Also see the posts here   from October 17th. 2015 onwards.

Offline Jon

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 18:42:54 »
I have looked through the photo's at Dover Library of Biggin street, believe it or not, we don't have a single photo of it.

All I can say is I have a blurry photo of the street from 1962 and it looks the bear is empty-handed on there.

But I will keep looking as I am sure somewhere I have seen the bear holding a barbers pole, but I am struggling to remember where I have seen it

Offline Jackiehurman

• Appreciation 0
Re: 43 Biggin Street, Dover
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 23:43:08 »
Bear Grease was a popular treatment for mens' hair until WWI and, as 43 Biggin Street was opened as a Hairdressers in 1895, could it be that the bear advertised the product and held the barbers pole? Sadly, the bay windows on the first floor have gone (9.8.18).

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:18:37 »

Apologies - this is 43 Biggin Street, not 42.  See present day picture of complete building on:
www.curchodandco.com/lists/retail/43%20Biggin%20Street%20Dover.pdf

The architecture of this row of properties is quite something, lots of decorations on these late Victorian buildings, constructed after the widening of Biggin Street when  this side of the old street properties was demolished.

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:06:23 »
Interesting thread.
     According to Census info No 42 Biggen Street was an old proprty back in 1800,s ans was unoccupied probably falling down during 1881 and 91 census periods. By 1901 spelling had changed to Biggin
     What is now 42 as photographed by EC was presumable built on the site of the old property in the 1890.s and has been a confectners /hairdressers /General Dealers shop until 1911. Also shown as a double with 43 on one census .No mention of tobbaconists.
     So now I wonder wether the Bear was put up there when the place was built or maybe quite a while later as
 an Advertisement as suggested. Trade directories for more recent years will tell. Fascinating stuff this history lark!

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 55
42 Biggin Street, Dover
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 20:47:13 »

There are so many interesting decorations on buildings.   Here is a photo of the building at 42 Biggin Street, Dover showing a bear. 
I guess it maybe had a long churchwarden's pipe in its hand, and may have been advertising Bear Brand Tobacco?  (perhaps this was a former tobacconist's shop) 
At the present time the shop is empty and to let.  Almost opposite M & S.

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines