News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coal Yard, Brompton.  (Read 7529 times)

Doodles

Re: Coal Yard, Brompton.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 15:12:32 »
Having taken a walk down Westcourt Street yesterday and seen the door to Rayner & Sturges was open I stuck my nose in and can confirm it is still a shirt factory!  It is No 12 Westcourt street, and the building up the hill from the coal yard is No 6, so the Coal yard must occupy the site of 8 & 10 Westcourt Street.  An image numanfan kindly posted for me in another thread from the 1955 Kelly's directory has a few things of interest to this thread:
(Image removed from quote.)

It shows that 8 & 10 Westcourt were still present and occupied in 1955
, so the coal yard must have opened there later than that.  I also noticed that at No 1 Westcourt Street (just below Broad Alley - The Alley that ran parallel to the High Street) was Green, Leonard Wm.  Not sure if this is Lenny Green, or his father, but I'm guessing it is one or the other.  I know that in 1881 this was recorded in the census as "The Good Intent" pub, but by then it was maybe a private residence.

As a footnote, in 1881 No 12 was a private residence with 5 families and a couple of boarders living there, none of them a shirt (or collar) maker, although one was a dressmaker.  This suggests that the current factory must have been built sometime after 1881.

The 1881 census also shows a "Green's Court" just off Middle Street (possibly 2, one on each side).  I can't help wondering of there is a connection?  Though of course, Green is not an uncommon name so it might just be coincidence.

Hi, I'm the great granddaughter of Jack Green. I've just stumbled across a few bits of information, in the search for some family history, and found that my great great grandfather, James Green, previously lived in Gravesend but were on the census as living in Chatham in 1901. The Leonard mentioned would, I think, be Lenny's father.

My father Albert, son of Thomas and grandson of Jack, was born at number 7 Westcourt St. in 1931.

torpointblue

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 13:22:50 »
Just checked on my birth Certificate and our address was 14 westcourt street . next door to the collor factory. I know we moved due too a Chimmney Fire Circa 1951 and moved too rainham . Hence no entry for 14 on the Kellys in a previous post. For those keeping records our surname is O'Shaughnessy . My mothers Maiden name is Davis and she lived before marriage in Wood Street

torpointblue

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 18:52:20 »
If my mother was still alive she could have cleared things up for you all. We lived in westcourt street  but had moved too Sunderland Square in rainham by the time of that Kellys entry.. Mr levy mentioned ,moved too School Ave Gillingham. his wife was my God mother. Mr Bassettburr moved to Haig Avenue Gillingham. His wife was my brothers God mother. As an aside Mr Levy's grandson is Ian Docker the ex Gillingham defender ,

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 00:28:21 »
There was a pub called the Good Intent almost directly opposite the coal yard (just below Broad Alley) from 1851 or earlier up until at least 1911. Above Broad Alley was the Golden Lion pub, but between the Golden Lion and Broad Alley were a couple of buildings around a small yard. I'm not sure when the one nearest Broad Alley went, but it is now long gone. I wonder whether this was the original coal yard site?

I've marked locations on this 1866 Map

Yellow = Pub
Green = modern position of Coal Yard

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Happychap

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 14:02:20 »
The coalyard started of in westcourt street on the other side of the road next door to a pub from where it is now just befor the turn of the century, then it moved over to manor street untill the 50s then to the present place today..

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 18:14:01 »
Having taken a walk down Westcourt Street yesterday and seen the door to Rayner & Sturges was open I stuck my nose in and can confirm it is still a shirt factory!  It is No 12 Westcourt street, and the building up the hill from the coal yard is No 6, so the Coal yard must occupy the site of 8 & 10 Westcourt Street.  An image numanfan kindly posted for me in another thread from the 1955 Kelly's directory has a few things of interest to this thread:

It shows that 8 & 10 Westcourt were still present and occupied in 1955
, so the coal yard must have opened there later than that.  I also noticed that at No 1 Westcourt Street (just below Broad Alley - The Alley that ran parallel to the High Street) was Green, Leonard Wm.  Not sure if this is Lenny Green, or his father, but I'm guessing it is one or the other.  I know that in 1881 this was recorded in the census as "The Good Intent" pub, but by then it was maybe a private residence.

As a footnote, in 1881 No 12 was a private residence with 5 families and a couple of boarders living there, none of them a shirt (or collar) maker, although one was a dressmaker.  This suggests that the current factory must have been built sometime after 1881.

The 1881 census also shows a "Green's Court" just off Middle Street (possibly 2, one on each side).  I can't help wondering of there is a connection?  Though of course, Green is not an uncommon name so it might just be coincidence.
=========

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:18:31 »
The coal yard was there for as long as I can recall. It was owned by the Green family and in my time was run by Lenny Green until his recent tragic death from cancer. I believe the coal yard was orginally at another location in Brompton, possibly Manor Street or River Row. I once read about some ancient buildings in Westcourt Street collapsing, so this could possibly have been on the site that became the coal yard.
The Green family were one of a number of real Old Brompton families. Old George Green and his brother ran Greens Demolition from Brompton. Their sister Hetty ran a greengrocers shop on Brompton High Street. I think they also had land at Hoath lane and Lower Rainham Road at various times.

The factory building next to the coal yard was the Rayner & Sturgess Shirt Factory. In their time they supplied hand-made bespoke shirts to the West End. They also made one-off stage outfits for show biz stars. Not too sure what goes on there now.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 22:33:26 »
We used to get our coal from Lenny Green (and his parents) right up until they left Brompton.  And I believe my father taught him, I'll speak to him about it and see what memories he has and report anything interesting here.

The building with arched windows (ooh, a playschool moment - what's behind the arched window Humpty?) was not part of the Coal Yard.  That's Rayners who used to print T-shirts.  Honestly not sure what they do there now.
=========

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
Coal Yard, Brompton.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 22:27:56 »
Anyone have memories of the coal yard?

My photos.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines