News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The River Dour  (Read 54580 times)

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
Re: The River Dour
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 19:15:05 »
The Wellington Dock photo was reposted on the Dover Ferry Photos forum [with permission] & the opinion there is that the ferry is definitely the 1952-built LORD WARDEN & that the photo was probably taken in the early 1960s.

The ship’s funnel was modified in 1956 & in October 1964 she became the first British Rail ferry to be repainted in their new scheme of a blue hull & red funnel with the British Rail logo.

In the photo she still has the black BR hull & apparently the ships were allowed to get a little tatty before the rebranding.

More info at   -

http://www.doverferryphotos.co.uk/pastandpresent/lordwarden.htm

The forum is at   -

http://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk       Registration is necessary

Thanks to Keniff & the photographer,  Bob Hollingsbee.

Cheers

Helcion

keniff

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 16:16:51 »
I sense a 'Then & Now' coming on...

Would you have a date for that Keniff? I'm thinking 1975-80?

Sorry, nothing on the photo's - I do have another showing the "Canterbury" in the dock at the same time

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 15:51:21 »
I sense a 'Then & Now' coming on...

Would you have a date for that Keniff? I'm thinking 1975-80?
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

keniff

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 15:36:47 »
Piccie of Wellington Dock, drained ..

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 23:09:01 »
Yes cheers helcion,i shall need to study your link and try and get down the dock at low tide and in the daylight.I wonder if the Dour will scour the mud off to a chalk base at low tide.A very old dock much changed even in my lifetime.I can remember carrying laundry baskets up very steep gangplanks onto Townsend ferries moored there in the late 1960's.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 22:15:13 »
Towerwill     -

I was talking to someone who had seen Wellington Dock last time it went tidal in the mid-90s & was told that even at low water there was water running thru the dock as the Dour cut it's own shallow channel, but that a lot of the bottom was exposed.

Will certainly be worth a peer into the dock at low water spring tides   -

http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0012

Cheers

Helcion

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 18:47:24 »
Thankyou for the info and interesting links helcion!It seems we're in for some stinks in town if the wind is in the wrong direction.I suppose the fish will just have to go in and out with the tide keniff when the dock goes fully tidal.Nice picture too:are they called grey mullet? It will be interesting to see the Dour water crossing the dock at low tide.

keniff

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 13:39:35 »
Where will this lot go ?? photo taken earlier this year, Wellington Dock

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 12:29:54 »
Towerwill   -

I saw a recent article in the Dover Express stating that the Wellington Dock is going to be drained while repairs and dredging is carried out.I believe the lock gates are leaking but i haven't got that edition of the paper now to re-read the article.It did say that downtown Dover residents can expect a considerable stench due the exposed mud.That's what happened when the dock was last drained.

From the DHB website    -

http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=News&article=168

http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=Marina

Repair works on Wellington Dock Gates!

It has recently come to our attention that there is a fault with one of the dock gates in the Wellington Dock.  Unfortunately, this means that it is necessary to allow the Wellington Dock to go tidal in order to carry out the repair.  

Although there will be a gradual reduction in the head of tide from 01st November, the dock will go fully tidal on 23rd November when the repair works will take place.  It is anticipated that these works will last six to eight weeks.  We are aiming to use this as an opportunity to clear the dock of any rubbish that has accumulated.

Please note Berth availability for visitors will be severely restricted at this time.

Also see   -

http://www.doverforum.com/letters/viewtopic.php?id=8537

Cheers

Helcion

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 12:10:10 »
I saw a recent article in the Dover Express stating that the Wellington Dock is going to be drained while repairs and dredging is carried out.I believe the lock gates are leaking but i haven't got that edition of the paper now to re-read the article.It did say that downtown Dover residents can expect a considerable stench due the exposed mud.That's what happened when the dock was last drained.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 16:49:09 »

"The Bubbles" where the River Dour enters the Wellington Docks.An interesting article on the River Dour brown trout can be found at UK Fishers Online.I saw several on my walk down today.Some have been holding the same positions for days now.The large one near Ladywell bridge is still there.

theartist

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 15:43:14 »
hello all sea trout are brown trout that have migated to the sea then return to spawn,rainbow trout are a non indigenous import fom canada the large salmonid you saw in the town were stocked rainbows possiblly escapees from a fish farm.the environment agency has installed a fish pass so sea trout have acces to the river.sea trout are a very secretive fish that tend not to show their presence. i am informed seals are getting into the pent making the odds against migratory species very low for survival,let alone displaying for all to see as they run upsteam.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 12:48:41 »
We've been discussing if the large brown trout may have come from the sea via the Wellington Dock and the Bubbles entrance to the River Dour.I believe this has a large round hatch over it which is forced open by the River when the water level in the Dock drops.A couple of years ago there were a couple of really big trout in the River.One of these we later saw lying dead.I understand trout are related to salmon.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 14:07:53 »
Plenty of life in and around the Dour even in November.We've just seen a mallard with 10 small ducklings on the Dour not far from the Bowling Green and the usual pair of moorhens there.A lone moorhen has turned up near the college footbridge.This could be the same one from earlier in the year.
A grey wagtail is zitting about  and the large brown trout is still keeping station near the Ladywell bridge.What seems to have been absent this year are the eels.It may have been in 2008 that we saw several eels coming and going under a large paving slab.This is in the Dour close to where a large concrete pipe enters the river near to the police station.Any sightings of eels in the Dour this year?

Sue2010

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 16:04:01 »
Thanks Delboy! Yes that's the one I meant. I have just spoken to the curator at the museum and he says he has a map showing all the mills and bypass channels, leats etc. so I should be able to identify the other structures too. Thanks again.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines