News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The River Dour  (Read 54550 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
Re: The River Dour
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 17:57:35 »
There's a small pond at Drelingore on the Alkham Valley just behind and West of the white pumping station. That's where the Dour bubbles-up.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 17:37:12 »
Has anyone got a picture of the actual source of the Dour. Is is just a small spring?
Derek Brice

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 17:16:41 »
Mullet are sea fish, Rudd are freshwater fish. If Rudd go into sea water they will die although they are tolerant of slightly brackish as found in some dykes. The only real fish that you can move directly from the sea to fresh water is the Eel ( I have never done it the other way round). If there is a fear of death or pollution to fish then the Environment agency should be notified.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 22:23:57 »
It had all the makings yesterday unfairytale.I wonder how bad it'll get if they start shifting the stuff?The creek at Sittingbourne had a very strong pong at certain times too,at least that's what i was told was causing the stench up at the station.An interesting link you've added on the "Towns and Villages>Any ideas please" thread as it deals with some of this dockland and river area too.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 20:07:47 »
You're correct Towerwill. I went down there at low tide this afternoon to take some pics. The smell was really bad.

When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 17:46:01 »
There will probably be pools left here and there at low tide and the Dour's channel winding through the mud banks.The Tidal Basin was something like that with the colliers and gravel boats sitting on the mud at low tide.I was down there yesterday a bit before the water was at it's lowest though.I hope the fish survive now Dock is tidal for a while.

theartist

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 15:43:31 »
does the dock now dry out at low water?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 19:09:48 »

The top photo is looking towards the crane with the lock gate hanging from it's jib.The Tidal Basin can be seen beyond the swing bridge.
The bottom photo shows where the Dour goes underground at New Bridge.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 17:46:08 »

Another photo of "The Bubbles" above.The photo below is of one of the lock gates hanging from a crane jib.I think the other gate was still in position but some people started walking across and there's not a lot of room on that walkway.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 14:44:25 »

"The Bubbles"at low tide.I'm wrong again as there's no door or gate on the River Dour's exit into the Wellington Docks.As can be seen there's a band of shellfish on the dock walls.That mud has got the potential for a fair old pong too!

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 12:56:46 »
Islesy     -

I sense a 'Then & Now' coming on...

Would you have a date for that Keniff? I'm thinking 1975-80?

John Hendy  [ferry book author] advises me   -

The Kent Messenger (9th October 1964) states: "Dover Harbour Board has had to remove the gates in the (Wellington) dock to effect repairs and the basin is, for the time being, tidal."

A couple of pictures that I took at the time appear in my 'Remembering the Lord Warden' - these are dated 10th October which suggests, by the state of her hull paint, that your images were taken in the week prior to that.

Cheers

Helcion

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 21:45:20 »
Ah yes JW it comes out below the dock water level at the rear wall in my photo and the reason for the name "The Bubbles" becomes apparent when you have a look over the railings.The river exit might have a heavy top hinged metal door over it.I'd like to see it too when the dock is drained again.(any photos anyone?)If i think back to when this was a working dock those two culverts went up into the boatyards that were there.I believe they have a gradually rising slope.I know we played down in them and the water would rise up and down in them with the tide.I can't recall at the moment of having seen them in use in the 1950's and '60's but the boatyards were in use then.Someone may have more details though.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 16:40:18 »
What are the two culverts for that come out from under what is now the Outlet Centre (shown in the photo of the drained dock) ?

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 14:48:05 »
Out of interest - where/how exactly does the Dour join the dock.  I can see it on Google disapearing just before the dock.  There are two what look like culverts coming from below the Outlet Centre but they are at a different angle to the direction of the Dour.

John

keniff

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 08:56:17 »
The ship in the photo is the "Lord Warden"

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines