News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The River Dour  (Read 54635 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: The River Dour
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2014, 15:14:05 »
Had a ride on the 91 service double decker bus today and the Nailbourne through Alkham is running again. It appears to run below the field surface in places on the Dover side of Alkham village then comes to the surface again further down the valley.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2014, 21:30:17 »
Thanks  for that info Cletus. We'll have to see how much the Dour does rise if that stream starts flowing again. It's up to the pipe under the footbridge by the bowling green and rubbish is building up against it. The moorhens living near here are finding fewer places to perch on as the poles they use are now covered by water.

Offline Cletus

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2014, 20:26:31 »
I went up through the Alkham Valley the Sunday before last and there was no sign of it.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 22:22:27 »
The cycle/pedestrian path has improved the walk alongside the river from the bowling green to Pencester Road.The seats are gone now.Anyone know if the Nailbourne down the Alkham Valley is running again?The Dour is as high as i've seen it for a long time.From the railway near Bekesbourne Station it looked like the Elham Valley Nailbourne is running again.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 16:44:31 »
From what I've heard it seems a cycle path is being made to run alongside the River Dour. I don't have the details as to how far it will run but at present the footpath by the Bowling Green is closed off. From a distance yesterday it looked like the present path is being widened out to the posts and wire netting placed in the river bed, which would explain their purpose. I understand it's also going to follow the footpath besides the river at Pencester Gardens. Unfortunately both these areas are frequented by the druggy/alchy brigade in warmer weather who tend to take over the public seating. One of these on his bike and with a dog running beside him shouted out for me to "get out of the way you stupid expletive-deleted idiot" a couple of years ago. So don't expect a pleasant walk or ride along here at certain times!

A bit of light entertainment was given when we saw one of the alchys fall backwards into the river at Pencester Gardens. This had the welcome result of sobering him and providing a bit of a wash for him and his clothes!

delboy

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2013, 17:36:14 »
mickiewickie, I emailed you to let you know I`ll get some info together for you. delboy

mickiewickie

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 18:29:07 »
I have just purchased a flat in the Old Flour Mill, 113 London Road Dover. This flour mill is on the River Dour, does anyone have any original photos or information of this building?

trainman

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2012, 20:57:01 »
 Happy new year to all  KHF nembers.
 trainman

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 18:42:07 »
Hi trainman! I lived around the corner from Albert Rd. (in Salisbury Rd.) and had some very good friends in Albert Rd. However there is indeed a little branch going off the main stream at Castle Street. I don't know where it goes though. Perhaps it rejoins the main stream down river. Funnily enough this area is known as Stembrook from the days when the river really split into two branches here. This gulley had water running in it last time I looked. I believe there's people on KHF who have made quite a study of this area so perhaps they can provide more info.

trainman

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 17:50:22 »
Interesting article on the River Dour. I lived in Dover for about 25 years in Albert Rd. and the river was just round the corner to Maison Dieu. I used to take my daughter there to watch the fish, my last visit was about 6 years ago, the water view was all weedy and not much water running, but it was summer so I assume it looks healthier in the winter, and just a question. There was some sort of water gulley about a metre wide that ran between the houses in Castle Street (on the left facing the castle). Was this also the Dour?  It must go out to sea somewhere. At the time I looked at this gulley it was dry, so has the water been diverted by some greedy water board.
  trainman

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 08:57:43 »
I see my above post was made on the 1st of January 2012 so here's one for the 31st December 2012. The heavy rains for much of 2012 have indeed raised the water level in the Dour a good deal. The level is now well above the small wood and shingle banks that were installed a couple of years ago. At the footbridge near the Bowling Green, it's risen towards some pipework suspended underneath the bridge. This pipework is a collector of all sorts of rubbish including a wooden pallet. I hope the pipe is not carrying anything too vital!On the other side of this footbridge a line of posts have been driven into the riverbed and wire mesh fencing has been fixed to these posts. This contraption runs alongside the footpath, about two feet away from the bank. I've seen a couple of such fixtures between the two footbridges.
Has anyone seen if the streams through the Alkham Valley and the Elham Valley are running again?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2012, 21:49:18 »
From Google Earth street scenes.
Some time ago the Dour(above)started seeping it's way around the mill wheel and cracking Lower Road. I think the roadway was narrowed while the repairs were carried out but I can't recall the year or full details. That may have been due to too much water coming down the Dour though. It'll be interesting to see what difference the recent heavy rains have on the river water level.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 17:36:55 »
If the stream continues to dry up, would this cause problems for the Crabble Mill?
Derek Brice

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2011, 16:29:03 »
The dredger David Church is moored in the Tidal Basin again this afternoon.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines