News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Langdon Hole - underground comms facility, Dover  (Read 19995 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Langdon Hole - underground comms facility, Dover
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 09:36:23 »
Nice photos cliveh!No great changes that i can see have happened over the last 50/60 years apart from some chalk falls.Those tins are still there too.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 14:12:50 »
A few shots of mine from a recent visit:

cliveh

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 16:16:48 »
About 45 years ago my family used to meet where the top car park area is on the left of the photo and have a camp fire and picnic.  We had the place to ourselves in those days.  On one of the visits my late Dad and I found a tunnel similar to the above photos, somewhere in the area of the white rectangle.  It was hidden in the shrubs.  A staircase went down very soon after the entrance and I believe there were some rails in the level tunnel at the bottom.  We didn't venture too far as we were unsure of the safety.

Can anyone one tell me anything about this tunnel please.  I wondering if it was connected to the tunnels mentioned in this thread.

Excellent photos by the way.

John

I've just heard back from my brother - he remembers the tunnel well from out picnic days.  He is fairly certain that it was in the area to the left of my rectangle near the path running North.  The last time he went to find it in the bushes near that path it was bricked up.  He says it was only a short walk from the two sheds.   As he remembers it there were steps down just after the entrance and tracks laid.  It didn't appear to go far in either direction at the bottom of the steps.   Not sure if this helps or whether it's a tunnel already covered in these threads.
John

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 18:39:29 »
The entrance to the back of the sound mirror at Fan bay was, I think backfilled, possibly in the 1980s by KCC eyesore clearance scheme. The Sound mirrors were probably just covered over, a job for time team.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 17:54:06 »
The entrance was very similar to Islesy's first photo but the stairway started after only a few yards.  I know I didn't imagine it - as I said we went there on more than one occasion.  It was only a short walk from where we had our picnics near the two sheds in the top car par park area.  I wil ask my brother to see if he remembers it, although he was quite young then.

JW

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 16:54:21 »
That will be interesting if there's more tunnels in that area JW. I'm trying to recall what it was that delboy worked on somewhere around there.
Alastair, I just drew that plan in the 1960s, from memory, when we used the tunnels as a camp. The other numbers just refer to the names we gave to certain areas. I thought the little room with a bench and some bolts and stuff on it might have been a workshop. I believe there were some empty large tins near one entrance. 

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 12:22:56 »
That's a very informative plan, TowerWill, have you got a key to the rest of the numbers? I went down there just before it was bricked up (it had brick entrances then, now gone) and got as far as the bottom of the west stairs since I only had a cigarette lighter to see with. Fellow came along the next week and started filing up the doorway with breeze blocks.
How reliable is it that this was a communications centre? I always had my doubts that it was a shelter.

Alastair

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 10:48:04 »
I've never come across a tunnel entrance in that area JW.Does that foliage follow the line of the sunken fence around Langdon Battery.I know the Langdon Hole tunnels are more to the east.I'm trying to upload a plan i made of the L.H.Tunnels in the 1960s.

We visited it a number of times but when we went back some years later we couldn't find it. I think it must have been covered over as the area become more popular with visitors.   I know we didn't walk far from, roughly, where the lower car park area is and then followed the uphill line of the diagonal track.  The entrance was completely hidden in a small copse which I think would have been nearer the lower edge of my rectangle.  I think we only found it as one of us needed a pee :)  I don't think it was a large complex from what we saw of it.  You wouldn't normally have known there was a tunnel entrance there.  Next time I go there i will see if I can pinpoint it.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 10:34:40 »
A rough plan i made in the 1960s.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 10:29:47 »
I've never come across a tunnel entrance in that area JW. Does that foliage follow the line of the sunken fence around Langdon Battery. I know the Langdon Hole tunnels are more to the east. I'm trying to upload a plan I made of the L.H. Tunnels in the 1960s.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:45 »
About 45 years ago my family used to meet where the top car park area is on the left of the photo and have a camp fire and picnic.  We had the place to ourselves in those days.  On one of the visits my late Dad and I found a tunnel similar to the above photos, somewhere in the area of the white rectangle.  It was hidden in the shrubs.  A staircase went down very soon after the entrance and I believe there were some rails in the level tunnel at the bottom.  We didn't venture too far as we were unsure of the safety.

Can anyone one tell me anything about this tunnel please.  I wondering if it was connected to the tunnels mentioned in this thread.

Excellent photos by the way.

John

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 22:31:48 »
Yes, I see what you mean col. The Langdon Hole and Fan Hole shelters are two different systems a considerable distance apart. The Langdon Hole entrances are pretty much at the same level a little bit above the track in the side of a bank. I remember the entrances as having small brick structures in front of them but 50+ years is a long time ago. I think they'd been bricked up post WW2 and then opened up again by someone. It must have been around 1962 when my brothers took me down there. I also remember how my mate's dog wouldn't go down the stairs but another dog went straight down the stairs ahead of us in the dark.

Offline col

• Appreciation 3
    • Subterranean History
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 20:59:05 »
The entrance behind the sound mirror was for a different shelter, the Fan Bay one.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 21:23:01 »
In one of the threads I mentioned how unsafe the tunnel coming out behind the sound mirrors in Fan Hole had become. It's probably covered with soil now (or collapsed).

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 19:10:31 »
One thing no body has mentioned on the Langdon Hole Thread, is the fact that the lower, sometimes called the emergency entrance, came out to the back of one of the Fan Bay sound mirrors, which I think are still in place but now buried.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines