News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Langdon Hole - underground comms facility, Dover  (Read 19366 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
Re: Langdon Hole - underground comms facility, Dover
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 23:44:23 »
Thanks for that info on the Long Hill Tunnel. It makes perfect sense about the 'sub'. I was told that it was an O.P but couldn't work out, if it was, why the building is only four-feet high. It probably explains why there were two round metal hatches on the roof too if it was venting the complex below.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 23:30:30 »
Many years ago I went down these tunnels in Langdon Hole, they were then blocked off by the KCC but I beleive reopen agai in more recent years.  There was an engine room down there for power.  In the field above was a structure for air intakes and exhausts, this was removed by the KCC.  The existing feature in the field above is part of the railway embankment.  There is another tunnel complex the same at the Danes which I have seen featured on KHF.  I went down this one many years ago.  This still has the structure above it for the air and exhust pipes, it is the same lay out as the Langdon Hole tunnels.  I did see the ventilation structure on KHF being called an observation post, no.  In side the Danes complex is a wire radio aerial lying on the floor.  Does any one know exactly what these two complexes were?  I have never been able to get a clear purpose for them.  I have an official plan of the one in Langdon Hole where it is called 'Dumpy B', I thought it was a reserve for Dumpy under the castle but English Heritage assure me that Dumpy under the castle was not called that until some time after the war. I am sure some one can tell me all about it, please.   JohnG

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 16:57:03 »
Went down there years ago, while the brick entrances were still there and thought it too large and elaborate to be a shelter, which is what was described as then. The rails running down beside the wooden stairs indicated some sort of heavy equipmemt being moved in. Or out. It appears from you who know that it was a communications centre - a telephone exchange.
Can anyone enlighten me as to its specific purpose or was it just that - a telephone exchange?
Alastair

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 15:56:53 »
Right seafordpete. I take it there was a generator down there then? There was a small room like a workshop that I bagged as my own when we were kids,which seemd a bit oily and I think had a workbench. I can't recall seeing anywhere that airlocks used to be though.

seafordpete

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 08:08:40 »
The pipes shown on the plan would be OUTLET pipes as a positive pressure was maintained in the tunnels to prevent any ingress of gas etc. The plan shows no intake or exhaust for the generator that they must have had nor airlocks

AnDy

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 22:47:04 »
Ahh, Longhill, never actually made it inside before the entrances were covered, was very much on the to-do list 4-5 years ago.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 21:48:33 »
Thanks for the info seafordpete and unfairytale. Didn't see where the pipes came out on G.E. though. I know roughly where the entrances were in that bank above the track but not exactly as I think earth was bulldozed over them. Yes I went into Longhill as well but not often. We've had a discussion about Longhill too on KHF.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 18:55:31 »
Nice photos Islesy.Rather more vandalised than in the 1960's though.I see the air circulating things which reminded me of the little tunnels running under the main tunnels.We could squeeze into these but they gradually narrowed as one got further from the manhole.Don't know how they got air to circulate though on this system.It might be on an earlier post.

In the plan on reply #2 is shows the ventilation intake pipes, four in a row. This is them here, hanging from the ceiling and leading up to the outside world,they lead down into the underfloor air-con tunnel. You can see on Google earth where they came out.

And this is the plant room which did all the circulating...

When I was a kid in the '70s we'd climb into the identical underfloor air vent in the Longhill tunnel, just like you did at Langdon. We used to call it the Biscuit Barrel.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 16:43:16 »
Nice photos Islesy.Rather more vandalised than in the 1960's though.I see the air circulating things which reminded me of the little tunnels running under the main tunnels.We could squeeze into these but they gradually narrowed as one got further from the manhole.Don't know how they got air to circulate though on this system.It might be on an earlier post.
In Forward at Newhaven the filtration/gas washer plant fed into underground brick channels about 18" square, these ran under the service passages until they opened up into the main 9' x 8' tunnels where they rose into pressed steel trunking , rectangular  or circular and ran at the highest point in the tunnel roof with adjustable vents at regular intervals. The feed into the filtration plant was by ducts about  2ftx18" along the side of the airlock and they just sucked in air from the adit to the West entrance which only had grille gates after the airlock

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 15:58:53 »

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 22:35:49 »
Here's something to illustrate the subject.

The main entrance (left) and secondary entrance (right)

Various internal shots

'That' piece of 1943 graffitti :-)

And a remnant of comic strip pasted on the wall

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

PaulAU

Langdon Hole - underground comms facility, Dover
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:41:15 »
My father was based at 'hidden' exchange preceding the invasion of Europe which was dedicated to cross channel cable communication. I recall being taken as a child to the Dover area (late 1960's) and being shown what looked like a bunker entrance. Dad talked about their fear of a returning (damaged) bomber, fully laden crashing into the cliffs and blowing the back out of the exchange. Also refer: Telephone exchange (deep bunker), St Margaret's Bay

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines