News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Boxley Abbey  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: Boxley Abbey
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 23:34:46 »
Great Pics - St, Andrew`s Chapel on the corner used to be part of it too but is now a derelict house believed to still be owned by the Abbey.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 19:00:47 »
I got some more photos of the Barn today.  Sadly you can't get close to the barn now as it is down a private road, and when I rang the buzzer at the end of the road the lady who answered was not keen on letting me take photos.  She did, however, give me a contact number for a person who can give access to the site.  I thought I would phone and try to arrange a visit sometime soon.
The photos I managed to get were all taken from the public footpaths and the surrounding roads.

<b
r />

Speaking to a policeman I ran in to whilst taking photos today, the missing tiles causing the holes in the roof are down to thieves stealing them!  It seems insane to me that such a historically important building as this can't be better protected from such vandalism.

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 21:13:17 »
You can still see the Abbey's Tithe Barn from the M20 as you drive along from the bottom of Bluebell Hill.  I believe that was the only part of the Abbey to survive Henry VIII's attentions. The barn was originally a roofed medieval range, part of the Abbey, and is currently on the English Heritage 'at risk' list.

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

merc

Boxley Abbey
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 17:38:39 »

Boxley Abbey was founded in 1143 by William Ypres, Earl of Kent, and son of the Count of Flanders. It was colonised by Cistercian monks from Clairvaux Abbey in France. In 1171 the then Abbot was one of those resposible for the burial of the murdered Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas a Becket.

The Abbey became famous for a holy relic known as 'The Rood of Grace', which was a figure of Christ upon the cross. It could miraculously nod, wink, frown, smile and move its limbs. Many pilgrims came to the Abbey to lay down gifts to the figure, but of course it was the monks behind the scenes, pulling strings to make it seemingly move. The monks at the Abbey became wealthy through this deceitful trickery. When Henry VIII dissolved all the English Abbeys and Monasteries in the 1530s the trickery at Boxley was exposed and helped to justify Henry?s actions. It was taken to Maidstone Market to demonstrate the fraud, and then sent to London where it was hacked and burnt.

The Abbey and many of its manorial estates were granted to Sir Thomas Wyatt in 1540. Some of the complex was transformed into a house with the remainder virtually demolished. Parts survive within the present mainly 19th century house and there are some fragmentary remains of the church still standing. A large 13th century barn also survives. The site is private, but a footpath runs close by.

The outer wall of the Abbey Grounds

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines