News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gillingham Benedictine Monastery  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 9
Re: Gillingham Benedictine Monastery
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 20:13:15 »
If you look carefully at the bottom map you can see that Grange Rd comes down from the main road, bends left, and then right again as it comes to the cemetery that is now a Park. At THAT last bend there is a path going up to the church. When I was a child during the War it was very overgrown and but old Gravestones were visible (bit spooky) but that, according to the map, is where the old monastery was. I had no idea it was there, but thought it was behind the Vicarage just on the left as you go into the church. The PARK cemetery was started in the early 1900's and my great grandfather John Mudge bought a brick lined grave for 'future' use (in perpetuity) I now own the deeds. The stones are one of the few still in their original position

Tobenn

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 18:18:41 »
Hiya,

I had no idea that such a place existed, I grew up in Gillingham and my surname is associated with
the Benedictine monks so hence an interest. I looked at the maps on Google Earth and if you look at the satellite
images taken in 1960, you can just make out the outline shape of buildings on the site you show on your maps,
but only the 1960 images, it's not seen on any other dates.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 23:36:02 »
The site is now under the OAP complex.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 339
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Gillingham Benedictine Monastery
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 00:55:51 »
I was looking at a couple of old maps of Gillingham and noticed they showed the site of of a Benedictine Monastery and its associated vineries just beside St. Mary Magdalene church ("The Church on the Green").  There is a modern housing estate called the vineries on the vineries site (I guess that's why it got the name!) and most of the indicated monastic site is open land ("Gillingham Green"), bounded by part of Grange Road.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines