News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old chip shop wyndham road Dover  (Read 8432 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
Re: Old chip shop wyndham road Dover
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 21:22:55 »
The above photo of Wyndham Road is 1935 and not 1919 as I originally stated.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 21:49:39 »
I've had this photo of Scrivens shop for ages so now's my chance! It was at the top of Tower Hamlets Street, opposite the end of Wyndham Road.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

jazz6182

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 09:25:19 »
As a lad i used to live opposite the chippy, i lived at no 28, my mother used to work there part time,when she finished her dinner time she always brought me home a chip and a bottle of coke,next time i see my father i will get more details, it was a great area to live,Co Op on one corner, butchers on the other, Scrivens the veg shop and Gladishes on the other  corner plus other little shops dotted around the area

davidb

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 18:24:42 »
My 1939/40 Pikes Blue Book also shows Myers, George, fried fish at No 27. And general shops at Nos 16 (Barden, RObert Geo.) and 80 (Hogben, Mrs. H. R.). And Brice, Charles, chimney sweep at No 52. You hardly had to leave your own street, did you?

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:31:36 »
Oops you're right it was at 27. I couldn't read my own writing!

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 11:52:46 »
My 1937-38 Pikes blue book shows  a G. Myers, fried fish shop, for this address, 27 Wyndham road.. Also ,from the library directories , 1962- Mrs A. Bellamy ,fish and chip shop, 1965-no entry for this address at all, 1967- Jhn Riccobonni, 1969- Mr Revell, all no 27. These were from the Dover Standard Street Directories. Kellys book for 1965 shows a Mrs Ward.Unfortunately they do not have all the 60s in their collection.All these entrys were for no 27, no shops shown at no 21. It would seem that it closed sometime from 1962 -65. I believe Mr Riccobonni had a chip shop up Sheridan road, he was knocked off his motorcycle in Roosevelt road on his way to the shop and was badly injured, in the 60s. Also my book for 1937-38 shows no 16 and 80 as general shops.R. Barden and Mrs Hogben regards delboy

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 21:16:13 »
Yes thats right, "Floods foods". They had the building next to Lewis builders yard entrance and the cold store was across the road in Tower street next to Caseys bakery.Floods became a very successful wholesalers and later sold the business to Cavendish foods who are still in business today on the Whitfield industrial estate. John Flood rang me today and said he will have a chat with his sister who might remember more of the Wyndam rd chippy.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 13:16:57 »
I can vaguely remember that they had a fire there,I think, and I think it closed not long after that.I remember the wholesalers , Floods, inTower Hamlets , there cold store if I remember correctly was behind what is now Caseys bakers. delboy 

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 10:00:12 »
I spoke to my step father but unfortunatly he cannot remember the name of the chip shop owner.He can picture a lady who was there as he used to deliver fish to the shop with his father just before ww2.He thinks it closed down sometime during late 50s to early 60s.As he is now well in his eighties,his mind isnt as sharp as it was but maybe he,ll remember some more info.My step father also ran a fish n chip shop with his father in Tower Hamlets at the junction of Widred hill and East street.This shop was open from around the 1930s and closed around 1948-1950 as the family then branched more into wholesale fish supplies and  later Frozen food wholesalers.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 20:05:11 »
 I used this chip shop  when I walked home from my girlfriends, or the King Edward, during the 60s and  I,m sure that it was owned at one time by a Mr. Riccaboni.When I,m in the library I,ll have a look in the Pikes books for that period, delboy

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 20:09:11 »
It was at no. 21. I'll try to find out more about it.  21 (on the left with the man in a waist coat outside) looks just like a normal house in this 1919 photo. The house today has a new front on it so at some time it obviously had been modified.

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 08:13:01 »
We moved to Dover in around 1970 and lived in Tower Hamlets.I can remember a small general stores shop roughly about a third of the way along Wyndham rd from the South rd end.It was really just the front room of a house.It was there until maybe 1973-74.I cannot remember a chip shop being there.I will ask my step-father as he used to own a fishmongers down in the square where J.C. Kings used to be.He also owned a fish n chip shop at Elms Vale on the corner of Eaton rd,so i,m sure he will know something about it.I,ll let you know of any info.

amylouisewalker

Old chip shop wyndham road Dover
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 21:59:59 »
Hi there,

Does anybody, by any chance.. have any info/ pics or anything really about the old fish and chip shop in Wyndham Road.. I think it was still one in the 50s, 60s or 70s?

Thanks!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines