News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gold Relic found near Prince Edward's Bastion - 1872  (Read 3341 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Re: Gold Relic found near Prince Edward's Bastion - 1872
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 16:54:28 »
I wonder what happened to this, I might contact the RE Museum and see if they have any information on it. 

It is in the British Museum, but not on display.

The Trustees of the British Museum. Museum number 1873,0212.1. Gold bar torc or bracelet fragment with spiral grooves along the round sectioned body. It was manufactured by casting a round sectioned rod into which a continuous spiral was deeply incised. The rod was bent into a curve and the outer surface polished. One end appears to have been deliberately cut and several areas have suffered damage and cracks.

Middle Bronze Age. Circa 1400-1100BC.

The torc was dug up, in November 1872, upon Chatham Line, between the Sally port and Brompton Barrier, by a party of soldiers throwing up a battery.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 21:40:22 »
From 'Kent in Prehistoric Times' by Paul Ashbee.
The circumstances of discovery of the various single objects are well illustrated, for example, by the torque (Bronze age) from Gillingham, which was found on Chatham Lines 'between the Sally Port and Brompton Barrier, by a party of soldiers throwing up a battery.'
a ref is given as C Roach Smith, 1874. Gold Torques and Armillae discovered in Kent, Archaeologia Cantiana, 9, 1-11.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 17:54:28 »
I wonder what happened to this, I might contact the RE Museum and see if they have any information on it.  I wonder if it might be part of a prehistoric cup or an iron age torc, although the weight suggests quite a large object.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

merc

Gold Relic found near Prince Edward's Bastion - 1872
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:41:16 »
November 18, 1872

While a party of Royal Engineers, under Quartermaster-Sergeant Gallagher, were engaged in throwing up a battery near Prince Edward's Bastion on the Lower Lines, one of the men, Sapper Goodall, turned up, about 3 ft. below the surface, a massive piece of gold. The gold is almost in the shape of a "crook" of a cornet, the outside being fluted, one end being about about half an inch and the other five-eighths of an inch in diameter; it weighs about 2 and a half pounds. The gold is of the purest quality. The relic is in possesion of the Commandant of the School of Military Engineering, and it will be forwarded to the Officers of the Crown as Treasure Trove. How it came to be buried where found is a matter of conjecture; it is supposed that the gold formed part of a sceptre.

From The Times

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines