News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Horrid Hill & Sharps Green Cement Works  (Read 17846 times)

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
Re: Horrid Hill & Sharps Green Cement Works
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 16:12:54 »
Interesting topic for me! One of my great grandfather John Mudge's brothers - Thomas Mudge was the 'driver' on the little railway during the whole of that period. I always assumed it had a little steam engine but I believe it was horse drawn. When I was a child during the war the chalkpit was well on the way to being overgrown with hawthorn and birch and sundry other plant beginning to provide homes for various flora and fauna. My mother and I often went there on an exploration and once when my father was with us we climbed up out of it on the eastern side. We entered by scrambling down the bank by the side of the little bridge on the Lower Rainham Rd under which the rail track passed on its way to Horrid Hill. Looking at the site on Google Earth I rather gather it has been reopened

The last (as far as I know) occupants of Horrid Hill was an encampment for soldiers during the war. I cant telll you how long they were there, or how many there were,but once a week they marched along to East Court Farm where they had a bath - we had an Ascot gas water heater over the bath - so unlimited hot water. They were certainly camped out there one November because Mother and I went out to the camp to sell Poppies for Rememberance Day and I was most impressed because they bought a Poppy for their dog mascot and affixed it to it's collar.

The first occupants of that area were Homo Heidlebergensis of Paleolithic Period circ 400000 years ago who left 'tools' many of which came to light when the quarry was opened and the causeway was built

talkofthethames

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 16:51:12 »
I found this site a few months ago when I was looking for help with a survey for my dissertation. I’ve been ‘lurking’ here ever since and saw this thread. I was in the area a little while ago and took some photos of the nearby Chetney Marshes and the old brick dock at Lower Halstow. They’re viewable on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/fallingmasonry/sets/72157627043854677/ if anyone wants a look. Hope they’re of interest and maybe a small thanks to everyone on this site who kindly completed the survey.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 10:25:36 »
The little chaple was about halfway down the lane at Sharpes Green on the left hand side. It was St Johns Mission Church, attached to St Mary Magdelane at Gillingham Green. It was built in the 1880's and closed when the Church was built in the Twydall development during the 1950's - my cousins were christened there in 1953.

Surrounded by Laurel and Yew trees the church was built of green painted corrugated iron and the inside was pannelled in wood that had been stained(?) a mahogany colour. I have a photo of the interior taken during a Harvest Festival sometime during the 30's -( sorry havent got round to learning how to post pictures yet) There were some very lovely Altar cloths (in my childish eyes) and these were kept wrapped in tissue paper in a chest of drawers at East Court Farm. Attached at right angles to the church was a small church hall - I had a farewell party for my little friends there at the end of 1943 when I moved away to Whitstable.

There were regular services every Sunday, which I attended with my great grandmother Ann Mudge and also the Sunday School, although there was an occassion when it was held at East Court Farm instead and as it finished I remember watching a mass of parachutists coming down over the Marshes. I was later told these were Italian pilots bailing out after being sent over here on a raid - can anyone confirm and give me a date please.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 20:21:15 »
At the top of Sharps Green Lane there used to be a little chapel, it is shown on Old Maps, I always understood the name "Horrid Hill" came from the removal of bodies via the spit head to graves on deadmans Island, I guess this could be untrue.  However, the chapel is real and there are some remains.

Dave

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:32 »
Interesting topic for me! One of my great grandfather John Mudge's brothers - Thomas Mudge was the 'driver' on the little railway during the whole of that period. I always assumed it had a little steam engine but I believe it was horse drawn. When I was a child during the war the chalkpit was well on the way to being overgrown with hawthorn and birch and sundry other plant beginning to provide homes for various flora and fauna. My mother and I often went there on an exploration and once when my father was with us we climbed up out of it on the eastern side. We entered by scrambling down the bank by the side of the little bridge on the Lower Rainham Rd under which the rail track passed on its way to Horrid Hill. Looking at the site on Google Earth I rather gather it has been reopened

The last (as far as I know) occupants of Horrid Hill was an encampment for soldiers during the war. I cant telll you how long they were there, or how many there were,but once a week they marched along to East Court Farm where they had a bath - we had an Ascot gas water heater over the bath - so unlimited hot water. They were certainly camped out there one November because Mother and I went out to the camp to sell Poppies for Rememberance Day and I was most impressed because they bought a Poppy for their dog mascot and affixed it to it's collar.

The first occupants of that area were Homo Heidlebergensis of Paleolithic Period circ 400000 years ago who left 'tools' many of which came to light when the quarry was opened and the causeway was built

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 20:51:28 »
It is an old Bovril bottle from the turn of the century. It is actualy made of dark brown glass but the effect of being in the mud and water has bitten into the surface like an acid and kind of etched the surface to what you see now. SB.

Jayzi.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 20:37:06 »
Hi all.

I'm curious, what is that little, grey complete 'thingy' at the top right, in sheppy bottles picture?

Great thread!

Take care.

Jayzi.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 16:16:59 »
It certainly looks like just the one type of fragment.. Here is a picture of the shore at Upchurch where the old brickfields were, much greater variety there...

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 15:51:06 »
Take no notice of the date on the pot that is only a prize date for marmalade, the pot probably dates just after turn of century. Some other pots have various medal prize details and dates on them as do their main rival of the time Frank Coopers pots. SB.

Darn those evil potters for fooling us with 'fake' dates!  :)  But certainly the remains there suggest a cargo loss - as you look over the shore the potsherds are as numerous as the pebbles on the foreshore.  This pic gives an idea and there is a large are covered like this, must be at least 30 by 20 meter area.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 15:08:29 »
Take no notice of the date on the pot that is only a prize date for marmalade, the pot probably dates just after turn of century. Some other pots have various medal prize details and dates on them as do their main rival of the time Frank Coopers pots. SB.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 14:19:09 »
Here is a base and a rim from amongst the many sherds, they look like a pretty good match for SB's marmelade pot to me at a quick glance (slight differences, but the ones that fell off the Dick Turpin were 50 years later than SB's one).

=========

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:23:38 »
The type of Dundee marmalade that will probably be found there, there are later ones and they come in various sizes.
I am not totaly convinced that the barge was full of just Dundee marmalade, there were probably other products on board as well. Many sherds and full pots such as this are found around the Medway eatuary and beyond..when the barges came down from London carrying 'the rough stuff' bottles and pots etc were often dropped over the side when they unloaded and were used to fill in the fields when the brick clay was dug out.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:04:15 »
Thanks Jayzi, I've just looked at it and I'm gonna quote what's there for those too lazy to go look! (Especially as it gives yet another 'how Horrid Hill got its name' story!)

"Sharps Green and Horrid Hill.
Part of the Riverside Country Park at Rainham is made up of a causeway which runs to a low mound called Horrid Hill. Convicts housed on the hulks in the Medway anchored close to Chatham attempted to escape to the hump of land that looked like an island. Those that were recaptured were hanged as a warning to others, hence the name "Horrid Hill". Horrid Hill marks the end of Sharps Green, which proved an ideal place for smugglers.
The last inhabitants of Sharps Green was the smallest cement works on record. The Sharps Green Cement Works was erected in 1902 using second hand equipment, it was the last to use static chamber kilns. Chalk was dug at the Tyndal Quarry and transported to Horrid Hill by wagon. The Cement works closed in 1913, the last vessel to berth there being a barge, the "Dick Turpin". This barge had the unfortunate experience of going aground in the bay off Horrid Hill in 1913, some of its cargo of Dundee marmalade jars can still be recovered."
=========

Jayzi.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 00:20:48 »
Hi all again.

Found the link to the site mentioning marmalade jars..............

http://www.medwaypilots.co.uk/page2.htm

Scroll down about halfway.

Take care.

Jayzi.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 23:48:09 »
Those potsherds could well be old marmelade jars from that date.  That could explain that mystery.  Anyone got any more details about that?
=========

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines