News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: National Fire Service  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Ewellboy

• Appreciation 0
Re: National Fire Service
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:30:19 »
Photograph of Dover National Fire Service.  Taken at 'Redstone' London Road, River, Dover.  I think this was their HQ during the war.  The only one I can identify is the tallest in the rear rank - A.E.C. (Ted) MOSELING.

les freathy

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 19:33:42 »
Just been informed this location is not Chatham but a east London fire station by AFS, i have taken a second look and must agree, it was with a batch of photos of chatham i obtained and may or may not have been there.

les freathy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 14:47:57 »
Here is a photo of one of Kent based NFS Austin auxillery towing vehicles at a display in Chatham Docks

charity77

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:51:08 »
Dear AFS
Thankyou for all the info.  Very Grateful.
I have been side tracked researching other family members , but, will be back to the NFS soon.
Until then bye for now

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:08:16 »
Here are two excellent British Pathe Newsreels about the NFS and its formation, and another featuring the work done by the women of the AFS/NFS. britishpathe.com/record.php?id=82936
britishpathe.com/record.php?id=51688

Sorry, there is a problem with the links. I hope it will be sorted out shortly.

charity77

National Fire Service
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:49:45 »
Hello

My Grandfather Ernest Elliott was in the NFS in WW2, in Kent. He was from Chatham.

I am attempting to find out where he was based.  And which areas he would have had to cover.   Was there a main base for these heroic men in Medway?   For obvious reasons of what they experienced and witnessed , tasks that they undertook, it was not a family topic of discussion.
 I would love to be able to obtain a photo of him and service details.  I believe his brother Charles also served in the NFS.

Does anyone out there have a collection of photos or further details?  I have no servi
ce record number to go on.
  Were they processed in the same way as other military service men and women?  Did anyone else`s relation serve in the NFS in Kent and maybe remember stories that may have been passed on down the line.?

Also, shame on me, would members of the NFS had to have combat training and if so where would they have trained?

I would be most interested to hear from anyone with a further insight into these mens lives in general and to hear of any web links that could be useful for further research.
Any information relating to my Grandfathers service would be much appreciated.
Thankyou in advance.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines