News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Entrances Through Dockyard Wall  (Read 2854 times)

Mick

Re: Entrances Through Dockyard Wall
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 19:41:01 »
Outside various entrances (not forgetting that the dockyard employed a large number of civilian workers or 'mateys') were signs on the wall naming various locations on the island. These acted as points for the workers to queue whilst waiting for a bus home.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 20:04:12 »
I can no longer find the reference, but as i remember it the outlines were to mark where a sentry would stand. They are not bricked up openings.
Apart from the South gate and the opening opposite the Red Lion, there were 11 other openings in the wall, albeit just c6 inches in dia. These were to allow fire hoses to be passed through the wall.
Look out for the rusting iron squares with a circular depression in the centre, just above the granite blocks.

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 15:44:15 »
The blocked up gateway opposite the Red Lion Inn is in line with an older road of the period before the construction of the new Dockyard in the early 19th Century. I think it was called New Road but not 100% sure.

Hope this is of some help to you.

chris1972

Entrances Through Dockyard Wall
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 22:06:46 »
Wondering if anyone can help with this quiery ?
I have noticed a couple of locations along the dockyard wall that runs adjacent with Bluetown High Street, where it appears that entrances/exits to the docks have been bricked up.
Does anyone know the history with regard to the fact that these entrances/exits where part of the original wall construction or where they created as access to the docks sometime after the original wall construction and then subsiquently bricked up ?

I hope someone is able to shed some light on this. Any images, including original construction plans would be most helpful.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines