News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Home Guard in Rochester  (Read 4131 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: Home Guard in Rochester
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 09:56:13 »
 I have been told that the Chatham Rochester and Gillingham News archives are now held at the Archives Centre at Strood. :)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:10:11 »
poppydoormouse :)

I heard through the grapevine that the Chatham Rochester and Gillingham News Archives might be donated to the Archives Centre at Strood. I'm going to check with my friend who ran the "Medway Memories" page to see if he knows anything and will report back.

sandynan46

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 20:25:47 »
Was interested to see the picture of the Rochester Home Guard marching past the Guildhall, 1941.  I am guessing my father was in that group somewhere. He was 2nd Lieutenant Norman Chouings.  I still have some of his stuff from then, his epaulette pips, and his leatherbound notebook, and a couple of photos in full uniform. 

poppydoormouse

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 21:51:12 »
 :) Thanks, really usefull, enjoyed scanning through the Kent Messenger, don`t suppose you could tell me how to get access to the Gillingham and Chatham News. Don`t think it exsists now?  Regards jan

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Home Guard in Rochester
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 18:18:40 »
I was looking through the archives of the Kent Messenger online and spotted this picture:

The Mayor of Rochester, Councillor, C S Knight, takes the salute at a march past of Home Guards in 1941 - and a little girls joins in.
It has copyright written across it on the webpage, but it seems you can order copies of it so I thought I'd post it in case any Home Guard aficionados out there were interested.
http://kentmessenger.newsprints.co.uk/view/10647669/pd1370897_home%20guard_%20rochester_jpg
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines