News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wreck Near Cliffe Fort  (Read 7696 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
Re: Wreck Near Cliffe Fort
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 22:53:34 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 13:06:32 »
A couple of photographs taken today (20/02/2013) of Hans Egede. The hull is now beginning to break up, especially the stern.
Regards,
Ted

Hi Ted.

As I know nothing at all about 'saily things', I think that your comment that the hull is 'beginning to break up' was a little tongue in cheek, the bits may make a dodgy raft, but you wouldn't get me to buy a ticket for a trip on it in a million years. :) :) :)

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 10:35:56 »
A five minute snippet of Shipping in the Swale,Medway,Sheerness and Cliffe during January/February 2013.
Includes the Hans Egede at Cliffe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvzW1a6gZJ8

Regards,
Ted

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 19:31:28 »
Photographed from my boat in August 2006.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 19:26:02 »
Nearby the Hans Egede are the concrete bases to the Nore Sea Fort.

Just a word of warning for those trekking across to Cliffe Fort from Cliffe RSPB car park.
The ground is very wet and boggy in places.
To add to that....there are a few wild horses roaming the narrow paths to the fort.
Though its good for the roses and rhubarb...there is a lot of it around especially by the swing gates.
I slipped a couple of times and nearly had to dig myself out!.. Thought I was going to need Brett's JCB.
Regards,
Ted

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 19:15:06 »
A couple of photographs taken today (20/02/2013) of Hans Egede. The hull is now beginning to break up, especially the stern.
Regards,
Ted

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:43:20 »
http://binged.it/yusYgg You can move around it here.
Nore Fort to the SSW :)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:53:23 »
She was, once, a nice looking vessel. That pic of her with the sticks up might have been during her conversion to Hulk status otherwise the sticks would have been in the way for fast loadin/unloading.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline chasg

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:54:36 »
Try the link in Paul's post of 21/7/10...   :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:50:33 »
This ship wreck then; what was she? Steam? Diesel? Or wind and string? Where did she come from? Why is she there? Need input.......... Please.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline linyarin

• Appreciation 45
    • Cliffe History
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 00:12:08 »
Its the Hans Egede.
I think the timbers were to stop craft getting too close?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dkbrown/wreck.html
According to the Kent Environmental Record:
HER Number: TQ 77 NW 1059 Type of record: Monument Name: Floating jetty, Higham Creek, Cliffe Summary Floating jetty visible in 1946 aerial photograph, Higham Creek, by Cliffe Fort. A 2005 caostal survey identified wooden piles and planks, as well as a a concrete platform standing on concrete piles that was not thought to be part of the jetty. Grid Reference: TQ 70731 76448 Map Sheet: TQ77NW Parish: CLIFFE, MEDWAY, KENT Monument Types JETTY ((pre) Modern to Unknown - 1946 AD) Full description If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us. Floating jetty in 1946 AP. Photographs (1-5). A double and partly triple row of squared wooden piles and planks approximately 150 m long . It stands up to 3 m high, and the piles are 0.3m x0.3 m in diameter. The structure is braced with iron transverse bars. There is a concrete platform standing on concrete piles towards the northwestern end. Does not seem to be part of the jetty. Another concrete structure, destroyed, immediately beneath the jetty. There are wooden construction remains lying between the jetty remains. (6) Sources and further reading Cross-ref. Source description <1> Photograph (Print): 2000. 166. print. <2> Photograph (Print): 1941. 2045. print. <3> Photograph (Print): 1947. 4041. print. <4> Photograph (Print): 1946. 1076. print. <5> Photograph (Print): 1946. 4038. print. <6> Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 2005. NORTH KENT RAPID COASTAL ZONE ASSESSMENT PHASE II, YEAR TWO: FIELD ASSESSMENT.

Just north is this.

HER Number: TQ 77 NW 1117 Type of record: Monument Name: Possible wharf on foreshore by Cliffe Fort, Cliffe Summary Row of wooden squared piles with attached planking and iron fittings by Cliffe Fort. May be a wharf? Identified during a survey in 2005. Grid Reference: TQ 70704 76479 Map Sheet: TQ77NW Parish: CLIFFE, MEDWAY, KENT Monument Types WHARF? ((at some time) Modern - 1901 AD to 2050 AD) Full description If you do not understand anything on this page please contact us. A row of wooden squared piles with attached planking and iron fittings. Massive, approximately 40m long running angled from marsh cliff up to the wreck, About 2m high, and piles are 0.3m x 0.3m in diameter. May be a wharf of some kind. (1) Sources and further reading Cross-ref. Source description <1> Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 2005. NORTH KENT RAPID COASTAL ZONE ASSESSMENT PHASE II, YEAR TWO: FIELD ASSESSMENT.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 18:22:04 »
If you tick your "i" in "Gallery" GOOGLE EARTH COMMUNITY most things are marked  :)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 351
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 16:30:12 »
Now you see, that's why I like the forum!  Loads of knowledgeable people who know just where to look!  Thanks.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:12:31 »
Its the Hans Egede.
I think the timbers were to stop craft getting too close?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dkbrown/wreck.html

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 351
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Wreck Near Cliffe Fort
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:20 »
Does anyone know anything about the shipwreck just south of Cliffe Fort?   As a kid I used to imagine it was the wreck of some pirate ship or something similar, and often snuck onto it whilst dad was birdwatching. I know it's not a pirate ship, but I do wonder what it was and when it's from?

I assume the rows of timbers beside it are the remains of an old jetty or dock.

Images from Google Earth:

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines