News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The dropped part of the Medway Inter-Fort Light Railway.  (Read 5853 times)

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
Re: The dropped part of the Medway Inter-Fort Light Railway.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 11:28:35 »
Hi Coullone,

I have always been intrigued by those entrances at Luton arches as my Gran's house once stood opposite them.

Are you able to describe the layout inside at all ? What else was in there ?

regards Otis

"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 08:13:10 »
Was it the advertising board where the houses were previously?
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline coullone

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 12:01:29 »
It was definitely entered from the bottom of Chatham Hill. It was behind the big Advertising board. My Cousin and many Chatham Tech Boys of 1950's  and early 60's will confirm.
Next  time I'm in the U.K. I will photograph were it was (I believe there has been some changes to Luton Arches in the last few years but the entrance can not have been completely removed without removing the railway!
I'm sure my cousin could also pin point where the entrance was. I will talk to him during the week and post any information to pin point the entrance.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 07:47:43 »
The 'mythical' Luton Arches tunnels  :)

You may have walked underground to Amherst but the starting point was almost certainly not from the bottom of Chatham Hill at Luton Arches.

This subject was discussed in great detail a few years ago on here with all the evidence proving it's a local 'urban myth'.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline coullone

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:17:35 »
In 1958 and later there was still a part of the Amhurst to Darland tunnel. We accessed it from behind a bill board at the bottom of Chatham Hill just above Luton Arches. We were able to travel along it to see Sappers working at Amhurst and 'stir them up'. One part of the trip involved walking along the top of a wall with 45 degree cap stones on it and a fall of 15 to 20 feet each side. Did not seem a problem for a 14 year old.
We were at the top of a 15 foot wall that looked down on them. Talking to my cousin recently, he also went along the tunnel when he was at Chatham Tech in 1963. It was almost a tradition and we were not allowed to tell anyone about it. I suppose I have just broken my promise!
Anyone know if it is still there?

merc

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 22:49:43 »
Is that Jezreels Tower marked under the 'G' of No.8 bridge?

Yep, it is  :)

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 22:29:15 »
Blimey, that's rather interesting! Nice one Merc. :)

Is that Jezreels Tower marked under the 'G' of No.8 bridge?

merc

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:31:06 »

merc

The dropped part of the Medway Inter-Fort Light Railway.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:34:48 »
The Palmerstone forts built to defend Chatham Dockyard from a landward attack were connected via an Inter-fort military light railway. This carried construction materials to each fort.

Barges would unload materials at a wharf on the River Medway, at Borstal, then the materials were transported up the hill to the start of the railway line near Fort Borstal. The line then went on to the other forts: Fort Bridgewoods, Fort Horsted and then on to Fort Luton where the line terminated.

There was also planned to be another railway line from the Convict Prison, near Chatham Dockyard, to the School of Military Engineering at Brompton, then across the Chatham Lines and on to Fort Darland. This line was first proposed in 1872. The track was to cross Brompton Road just west of it's junction with Prince Arthur Road, and at the summit of the lines one branch would cross the top of Windmill Road over Watling street, near Rock Avenue, going towards Fort Darland. From here it would cross the modern golf course at Woodlands Road to Woodlands Redoubt to link up with the main line. The other branch was to cross Windmill Road and Watling Street and follow the line of the Upper Luton Road to connect to Fort Luton, and the railway between the other Forts. Work on the railway Didn't start untill 1900. The embankment to make a Bridge over Watling Street was raised near the end of Windmill Road.

The report of an accident in 1906 was made concerning, Bertie Carron, a young boy who lived in the R.E. Park. While playing with other youngsters on the partly constructed railway between the R.E. Barracks and the Great Lines he removed blocks from the wheels of Trucks, crushing one of his legs. It was decided to abandon the line from the R.E. Park to Fort Darland, so the railway was never built.

The bridge over Brompton Road was started using Portland Stone, but when work ceased most of the Stone was used to build the memorial at Fort Pitt Cemetary, to those Soldiers who had died in the Fort Pitt Hospital as a result of fighting in the Crimean War. However, the footings of the Bridge were left in place and were visible for many years.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines