News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Chatham Ordnance street Land mine 14 December 1940  (Read 19342 times)

Patshubby

Re: Chatham Ordnance street Land mine 14 December 1940
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 16:42:49 »
What a very kind person you are! Thanks for the kind offer to scan the book, but I have ordered a copy. I know my wife will be pleased to have her own. . Thanks also for the link about parachute mines. I had already located that one. My own family moved south from Rochdale Lancs in or around 1942. First in Sittingbourne, then to Burrit Street in Rochester, then Dale Street Chatham, New Road Rochester, St Williams Way. Best wishes.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 17:43:05 »
You?'e no pain at all. Since I'm largely housebound this forum is the nearest I can generally get to a chat over a pint in the pub, so I'm only too happy to respond.

The book is 'Front Line County' by Andrew Rootes, ISBN 0 7091 8321 6. I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but let me know if not. The text in the book runs to 5 paras that I will scan and post if you wish. At least you have answered Chatham girl's question - number 18 would have been at the bottom end of Ordnance Street.

I distinctly remember that night. We lived at Rochester, and mum and I were in the kitchen washing up* when there were these almighty bangs, bigger than anything we had heard before. It was especially surprising because, while it was routine for the sirens to sound just after dark, the most that usually happened was for a German plane to pass over every few minutes on the way to London.

There is some more about German mines here, Reply#22:
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4117.15

*PS: My wife says helping with the washing up was a habit I must have grown out of before we married :)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Patshubby

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 15:50:34 »
I'm being a pain I know, but could I have a reference to the article about "Front Line County"?

Many thanks.

Patshubby

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 15:40:59 »
Hi Peterchall

Sorry to have been so incompetent to miss your reply. I simply couldn't find my original post! Thanks very much. We already had the details of the mine(s) from the Kent Fire Brigade Roll of Honour. One of their members, Leading Fireman George Kennard was killed in the explosion. He was in the doorway of Mr Herbert's newsagent shop. Mrs Kennard was across the road (presumably at her home) and was shocked but uninjured. Their home was number 18 Ordnance Street.

It's just amazing that you have been able to give more information about my wife's childhood incident of 70 years ag
o which she often speaks about. A passer by must have seen the parachute descending, because he threw Pat to the ground just as the explosion occurred, and possibly saved her life. Pat also remembers that some of the people who died were drowned in their cellars which flooded on the blast. An awful time for so many!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 13:47:44 »
I think it's the lower part, where there is now a parade of shops and new houses between Ordnance Street and Fort Pitt Street; there is also a short stretch of new houses on the opposite side of Ordnance Street. However, there is a lot of new building further up, in the area of the school, so I'm not 100% sure.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 13:28:00 »
Hi Peterchall

would you happen to know the exact part of Ordnance st this is?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 21:51:14 »
Hi Patshubby, welcome to the forum, from another 11 year old.

Information from 'Front Line County' by Andrew Rootes:
On Saturday 14 December 1940 two parachute mines fell on Chatham at 6:30pm. One fell on Ordnance Street, near the railway station, and the other fell on open ground near Boundary Road. About 60 houses were destroyed and 700 damaged, and gas and water mains broken. Many people were trapped and there were many sad tales of the loss of family members. 15 people were killed, 20 seriously injured, and 103 slightly injured. It was Chatham's worst incident of the war.

Patshubby

Chatham Ordnance street Land mine 14 December 1940
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 21:13:31 »
My wife (11 at the time) was thrown to the ground by a helpful bystander as this mine exploded. She escaped with a piece of shrapnel in her shoe. She was on her way to St Michaels Church close to the railway station on Ordnance street. Any information about his incident would be most welcome.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines