News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Toy Shops in Medway during World War 1  (Read 362 times)

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
Re: Toy Shops in Medway during World War 1
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 13:45:42 »
My friend used to go to Lanes in Rochester high street to get spare wheels for his cars and one day as he was crossing the road he was hit and went through their window. He was young at the time but not badly hurt.
Hope x

Offline cabinet of curiosity

• Appreciation 0
Toy Shops in Medway during World War 1
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:40:26 »
Hello all involved with Kent History Forum (KHF),

My wife & I are newbies to KHF but with an interesting project going 'live'.

We are looking at World War 1 (WW1) Centenary Commemorations through the medium of toys and specially paper toys.

We have located two key Toy Shops operating in Medway during WW1: Lane's of Rochester and Mackay & Co. Ltd of Chatham:  'The Toyland of the District'!

We are looking to research local archives via newspapers and articles to locate the Great War as 'staged' in toy shops and homes of Medway on the home front.

We have two free sessions booked at Medway Archives on 19th & 26th September 2018 with complimentary free Paper Toys making workshops in the afternoon of these dates. We are also in dialogue with Kent Archives in Maidstone.

Participants are welcome to sign up via: cabinetofcuriosity@hotmail.co.uk

As Field Marshal Horatio Herbert Kitchener famously said: 'Your Country Needs You!'

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines