News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Basement of The Broadway, Sheerness  (Read 3330 times)

seafordpete

Re: Basement of Banks Terrace
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:12:59 »
Chute for coal. In Brighton around the Regency terraces they go  out under the pavement and are about 15' square with either a door to the lightwell or door direct to the kitchen. Quite a few of them which were under pubs are in use for beer cellars. Usually the cast iron plate has the maker around the rim and indeed some have thick glass panels is so serving as light as well as delivery hole P

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 00:07:38 »
lol  I'm wrong again  :-[

Sorry i assumed the circular feature was a light sorce although i realise there probably was windows before  :-[  If anyone can come up with the correct use of the circular features i would be very grateful  :)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 23:29:12 »
The third photo down looks to me like it was the old coal hole. There are still many seen outside houses.  Could be wrong in this case.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Basement of The Broadway, Sheerness
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 19:49:25 »
Definately not exciting but i found an interesting feature in this basement.  The terrace once had railings around an open bit for light to reach the basement of the buildings.  During the 80's there were glass blocks/windows along the front of the shops for the same purpose although the areas in front of the shops have all been filled in.  Only one shop has the glass window in front allowing light to reach the basement.

These alcoves are underneath the pavement outside

And inside them you can find these...

The original light source for the basements.  It is above these that you found the windows in the pavement.

Like i said not exciting but anotheer unseen item of history. 

Between this basement and the one on the opposite side of the road is the well along the Broadway.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines