News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Pitt, Chatham.  (Read 71825 times)

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
Re: Fort Pitt, Chatham.
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2017, 10:51:13 »
Hi.

I was looking at the red-arrowed tower in Smiffy's pic in post #160.

It does indeed seem to line up with the rear of the casemates. Although on the other side of the casemates, it would be on the higher ground there by the fort entrance. I would have thought such a high object would be visible from the Jacksons Fields viewpoint.
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2017, 16:16:39 »
This is a modern view via Google Earth from approximately the same location.

I was assuming the original poster was referring to the tall structure at far right of the old photo which is probably a chimney from a building within Fort Pitt. The tower on the left is clearly St. Barts. The structure I indicated with the arrow looks likely to be a chimney related to the casemates which means that, as you rightly state, the mystery tower is not visible from this position .

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2017, 10:44:17 »
The first image looks to be a tower at or new St. Bartholomew's Hospital.

The second photos shows a tower near the entrance to the fort at the back of what is now the college.

The mystery tower would be the other side of the casemates (the site of the college) and hidden from view from Jackson's Field.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2017, 09:35:28 »
Windmill ?

....ducks and runs....... :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2017, 02:15:16 »
Thanks, now I know :)

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2017, 21:13:40 »
According to http://www.parksandgardens.org/places-and-people/site/1863/history, "The park was purchased and presented to the city in 1914 by Councillor Howard Jackson."

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2017, 16:14:44 »
That's an interesting view from what is now known as Jackson's Fields (I'm unsure as to when it was so named and who Jackson was).

However, from the location of the photographer, the unidentified tower is more likely to be the object indicated here by the arrow.

Offline jimawilliams

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2017, 23:33:43 »
It is possible that the "mystery tower" is shown  on the horizon just to the left of the fort, in this photograph. 

Sourced and used with approval from Facebook page All About Rochester Kent.
"Change is the only constant"

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2017, 23:07:09 »
This photo of the eastern flank of Fort Pitt (now the site of the school tennis courts) is stated on the Medway images site as being from around 1930, although I believe that it can't actually be much later than about 1900.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2016, 18:31:00 »
Now I know what a shot tower is! Love to think that they may have provided invalid soldiers with an industrious purpose of making munitions.

I fear the answer may be something unexpected but mundane.

Online conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2016, 20:13:40 »
Could it be the truncated base of a shot tower?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2016, 16:59:34 »
I do find these mysteries compulsive!

I think it is unlikely to be a sewer vent. Firstly, I was looking at Kyn's fort plan on reply #60. It looks like that the works behind the enfilading fire wall ( the proper name escapes me ), do not seem to extend underground to anywhere near the spot for the vent. Secondly, sewer vents I have seen seem to be around the width of a drainpipe, and are often appear similar to large lampposts at ground level. This thing is huge.

I was looking at Smiffy's latest picture with the side view. Though it is blurred, am seeing a substantive two stage structure. Bottom half possibly brick with the upper stage a fraction wider. Looks to me a lot like a water tower. I am struggling to explain why they would put a water tower outside of the fort, when there are so many higher spots on the fort roof, where that could have been sited.

The site of this structure should be telling. It seems to be right outside the fort main gate. It stands alongside both the approach road and a secondary footpath that runs up around the Casemate. Just the spot for something practical and essential?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2016, 19:54:02 »
A sewer vent is possible, they had/have Victorian ones surviving in Dover.  Initially the basement of the casemates beside this was where all the waste went, but was shovelled out once full.  Would make sense that they still needed vents and may have put one in if a sewer was added here at a later date.

Still would show as a vent on plans though!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2016, 15:05:19 »
If it was still there in the 1920's I can only assume it was demolished in the 1930's along with the blockhouse. Whatever this was, there is probably a closer picture or a record of it somewhere. For anyone to actually remember seeing it (perhaps one of the Technical school girls) they would probably have to be about ninety or more by now.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines