News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Propeller, Chatham Dockyard  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
Propeller, Chatham Dockyard
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:47:53 »
Im pretty sure that props have a number for quality control or if they have specially commisioned.
The numbers are recorded when fitted to the ship.
Maybe the NMM at Greenwich can help?
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

seafordpete

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:30:50 »
Or was a shaft replaced?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 22:32:10 »
There is a debate going on about the origin of the propeller on display next to HMS Cavalier at the Chatham Historic Dockyard.

There are those, including members of the HMS Cavalier Association, who believe that this propeller was removed from HMS Cavalier and that the other one is on display at Cowes, Isle of Wight, where the ship was built.

However, a close look at the propeller reveals this:

There is a remnant of a propeller shaft still attached to the propeller, meaning that it was cut off rather than being properly removed. "Fair enough" I hear you thinking, BUT, this picture, taken from below Cavalier in the dry dock in early April this year shows both of Cavalier's propeller shafts to be intact.

Even the threaded ends of the shafts, where the propeller boss was screwed on, are intact.

This means that the propeller on display cannot belong to Cavalier, because it has been cut off with part of the shaft still attached. Alternatively, if it did come from Cavalier, then she must at some stage in her life have had both propellers and their shafts replaced - an extremely complex and expensive operation and not one likely to be performed unless the propeller shaft had been seriously damaged. If this had happened in the 1960's, the ship would most likely have been decommissioned and scrapped as it would not have been cost effective performing this kind of major surgery on an old and obsolete destroyer.

So, where did this propeller come from?

My best guess is that it may have come from one of Cavalier's sister ships which were broken up locally. HMS Caprice was broken up at Queenborough in 1980 (ish) and HMS Grenville (Type 15 Frigate Conversion) was broken up at Rochester, by the railway bridge in about 1985. A very similar ship, HMS Diamond (Daring Class destroyer) was broken up at Bloors Wharf, also in the early 80s is another candidate.

Any ideas anyone?
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines