News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upbury Manor  (Read 65076 times)

Offline Sad Git

• Appreciation 3
    • Upbury Manor Days
Re: Upbury Manor
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2017, 19:42:18 »
Can anyone name any of the faces in this picture, I wonder. I'm guessing it was taken around 1963/64, as a couple of boys look like young versions of lads that were in the upper school in the late 60s.

Offline 7DayRover

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2016, 17:36:13 »
A very rare sight, one to stir the pictorial memory of those schooled there during 1957 - 1971

An artist impression aerial picture view of Upbury Manor school and grounds as it was during the late 1960's. I developed the idea from a BAM photo, taken in 2013, prior to the last stage of demolition in 2014.

In the upper and lower sports fields, I've deliberately left out the pitch markings and positions of the football, rugby, cricket, hockey, athletics, the cricket practice nets, and the jump sand pits. The high jump pit was near the lines fence boundary on the lower right hand side of the picture. The long jump was further up right side, nearer the top lines fence boundary. Also I remember a very large iron roller being on the sports field.

The linked craft block building, (for woodwork/metalwork) situated in the upper school playground, is my perception of how it looked when built in 1967. I thank Sad Git for supplying and conferring, some knowledgeable contribution help with, certain details.

I welcome any comment and hopefully some more school photographs and memories will be posted here.

Offline Sad Git

• Appreciation 3
    • Upbury Manor Days
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2015, 09:22:56 »
Thank you for these pictures 7DayRover (and locallad). The ghosts of the past came calling when I looked at picture 2. If my eyes don't deceive me I see Mister Potts's classroom laid bare, with the position of the blackboard and the door to his little cubbyhole (where he kept his overall and cane, amongst other things) clearly visible.

Offline 7DayRover

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2015, 14:12:54 »
Having been a pupil during the 1960's at Upbury, and now living a long way distant, I was not there last year to witness the slow destruction of the pre 1971 era Upbury Manor school buildings.

Out of curiosity, I recently travelled to visit Gillingham and to see for myself and film what is happening at the site of the now demolished old school.

I have posted some new photos, to document the progress of the site development since June 2014 and up to May 2015. I thank locallad for his permission to publish some photo's (numbers 1 -4) that were taken last year.

Photo (1)
This was the main driveway to the school, off Marlborough road, picture date 9th June 2014

Photo (2)
View of Upbury Manor, before it was finally knocked down, picture date 9th June 2014

Photo (3)
A heap of rubble, the remains of Upbury Manor, picture date 26th June 2014

Photo (4)
The old main driveway, site clearance, the Naval war memorial seen in the background, picture date 19th October 2014

Photo (5)
The old main driveway, site development shows access road branching left to the new car park, and straight ahead and left to the new games courts and sports pitch, picture date 3rd May 2015

Photo (6)
The new car park, picture date 3rd May 2015

Photo (7)
Temporary access, off from Marlborough road, to the old sports field near the hospital, viewing the perimeter fence of the games courts, picture date 3rd May 2015

Photo (8)
A view from the old sports field, looking along the perimeter fencing of the games courts and sports pitch in the direction of the Naval war memorial, picture date 3rd May 2015

Photo (9)
There isn't yet an up to date satellite view of the area to view. The best aerial photo view I found was from BAM, in 2013, the construction company that built the new academy to replace the old school. I used their photo to roughly illustrate, adding in the position of new developments on the site as much as I could perceive them from the ground level on the date 3rd May 2015.

Offline Sad Git

• Appreciation 3
    • Upbury Manor Days
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2014, 11:21:25 »
Glad to have helped, 7DayRover. I’m pleased you remembered those few steps too, a detail I omitted for fear of complicating things. At the bottom of those steps (anything from three to six, I’d guess) a short corridor on the left led to an exit door, from which we boys passed under a canopy that linked the main building to a new craft block, where we contributed to the nation’s stockpile of pokers, ash trays, coffee tables and fruit bowls. Back to the bottom of the steps and proceeding up the wing corridor straight ahead… on the left were two classrooms, one of which became Mister Askew the history teacher’s classroom. To the right, windows overlooked the upper school (as it was in our time) playground.

Note: In Merc’s snow covered picture the canopy has gone but the barriers form the same path to the craft block.

During April 1967, Jennie Lee, the Labour Government Minister for the Arts visited Upbury Manor. While there, she might possibly have also officially opened that new classroom block wing?

Though I’m unaware of the connection I do remember Jennie Lee’s visit, since she and her entourage gate crashed our Drama lesson in the hall. Mild curiosity turned to great excitement when I saw TV cameras following her, yet sadly, in the days before video and pause buttons, our appearance on the regional news that night was all too brief and gone in a flash.

Another question here to start another ball rolling. The Upbury Manor middle school printed a periodical magazine booklet during the late 1960's. On it's front cover was a picture of the school main front entrance area and gates. Can anyone remember the name of this magazine?

Sorry, I can’t remember that.

Offline 7DayRover

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2014, 20:42:02 »
When I started at Upbury, in September 1966, we boys did Metalwork/Woodwork in a classroom (later to become Mister Brown's art room) on the ground floor near the school's main entrance. Within twelve months we'd moved to a purpose built craft block that was reached via a new wing at The Lines end of the school.

Hello Sad Git. Thank you for the memory jog about that new 1967 built classroom block wing. I do now remember times walking all the way along that long corridor, ground and upper level. At the upper corridor end junction, turning right, I think, there were a few stair steps leading down, entering into a slightly lower level 1st floor block wing corridor. If the ground floor of that wing was used for crafts, what of the 1st floor classrooms? The construction of this wing could have begun by 1965. I was at that time, still in the lower school and not really aware of the building activity on the other side of the school. That may be partly the reason for my vague memory of it being built.

Some additional thoughts as to reasons why the school needed to expand with the addition of this new classroom block. In July 1965, the Labour government issued circular 10/65, implementing the comprehensive education system. September 1965, the introduction of the Certificate of Secondary Education (CSE), it was a school leaving qualification available to all Secondary schoolchildren. Upbury Manor was then reorganised and introduced a 5th form, lower 6th form and upper 6th form into the school, catering for pupils 15 years and over wanting to take CSE, GCE O and A level courses. And so a new classroom block was needed.

During April 1967, Jennie Lee, the Labour Government Minister for the Arts visited Upbury Manor. While there, she might possibly have also officially opened that new classroom block wing?

Another question here to start another ball rolling. The Upbury Manor middle school printed a periodical magazine booklet during the late 1960's. On it's front cover was a picture of the school main front entrance area and gates. Can anyone remember the name of this magazine?

Offline Sad Git

• Appreciation 3
    • Upbury Manor Days
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2014, 10:12:21 »
My interest is in the red brick classroom block wing which being part of the building, left side of the clock. I was there until 1970 and I'm sure there weren't any major building works, apart from the swimming pool, undertaken during my time at the school. I would be grateful if anyone can give a reply and answer on when this classroom wing block was built?

Hello 7DayRover. When I started at Upbury, in September 1966, we boys did Metalwork/Woodwork in a classroom (later to become Mister Brown's art room) on the ground floor near the school's main entrance. Within twelve months we'd moved to a purpose built craft block that was reached via a new wing at The Lines end of the school. If you can cast your mind back… imagine you’ve just left the canteen… on the ground floor corridor there are classrooms to left, and row upon  row of coat hanging bays on the right. At the end of that corridor you can either turn left and walk the short distance to the door for the lower school playground (and the steps that lead up to the first floor), or you can turn right into the new wing.  It still smelled of fresh paint when I left four years later.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2014, 18:10:12 »
locallad, I am sorry I have only just seen your post !

I really don't remember any building work going on when I was there, which wasn't that long (a school year) so it would have been late 1960. I left at Christmas 1961, just 15 yrs old, and went to work in the January of 1962.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline 7DayRover

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2014, 17:01:49 »
I managed to find a pic from a couple of years ago of the clock facing the Lines. I can't remember if there were any others on the building or not. I'm not sure when it stopped working, sorry.
Thank you Merc, for a rare picture of that part of the Upbury Manor school building. My interest is in the red brick classroom block wing which being part of the building, left side of the clock in your photo. It's design architecture matches the rest of the original buildings. The postcard aerial photo of the school, posted by alfie68 at the start of this thread, shows that wing classroom block didn't yet exist. My thoughts are that alfie68's photo is dated around 1961/62? By September 1964 the school had two functioning sports fields and the swimming pool still under construction, but my visual memory of the part of the school in question, eludes me. I feel that it did exist during the 1960's, possibly just built on before 1964? I was there until 1970 and I'm sure there weren't any major building works, apart from the swimming pool, undertaken during my time at the school. I would be grateful if anyone can give a reply and answer on when this classroom wing block was built?

Offline locallad

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2014, 17:35:46 »
This last pic is the clock I remember  :) It was there in 1961 but I don't remember the other clock in Mercs pic .
Hi Lyn,
Do you remember that classroom block with the clock being built, it wasn't there when I left in 1960.
What period were you there?.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2014, 17:27:30 »
This last pic is the clock I remember  :) It was there in 1961 but I don't remember the other clock in Mercs pic .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline locallad

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2014, 17:22:31 »
I managed to find a pic from a couple of years ago of the clock facing the Lines. I can't remember if there were any others on the building or not. I'm not sure when it stopped working, sorry.
Thanks for sharing the picture Merc,
My Brother has just sent me a picture he has in his collection of the other clock, he doesn't know who the photographer was, but hopes they won't mind it being shared here, if any of the children in the play ground are on here maybe they could tell us a bit more.

merc

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2014, 13:40:33 »

Offline locallad

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2014, 11:53:31 »
Upbury Manor Clocks.....

I was at the school from when it opened 'til 1960, and I don't remember there being any clocks on the school during my time, but my brother who was there between 1964 - 1970 says there was one on the end of the long block furthest from the main building facing the lines, he thinks there was also another on the end of the block facing the sport field by the hospital.

Does anyone know of these, when they came into or went out of use, and were any of them saved before demolition.
Are there any photographs....

merc

« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2014, 15:06:59 »
Prince Edward visited Upbury Manor, as Chairman of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Special Projects Group, on May 12, 1992. Mr Gliddon (to the right of the Prince in the photo) was the headmaster at the time.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines