News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upbury Manor  (Read 65026 times)

silkenrobe

Re: Upbury Manor
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2012, 15:17:37 »
I remember standing in that hall amongst total strangers waiting for my name to be called by one of the teachers awaiting their new intake of first years
Sept 1976 - it was horrid and I was terrified.
I too, recall teachers sitting down each side during assembly.  My calls did one about Elvis Presley - that was when I learnt he wasn't actually dark haired :)
The things we remember, lo.l

Also a prefect, I don't recall sitting on a chair but remember door duty and letting people in for the toilet and actually having respect from kids our own age - can you imagine that now? :(

Thanks for the pics - the swimming pool one belongs to Sad Git BTW, but didn't realise at the time :) 

Offline Sad Git

• Appreciation 3
    • Upbury Manor Days
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2012, 11:34:11 »
Itís a bittersweet joy to see the hall again. Thanks Merc (and Silkenrobe :)). Like Peter I remember the teachers sitting on the stage and prefects being seated down the sides. I also remember there were steps all along the front of the stage where three first year classes sat facing everybody else in assembly.

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2012, 15:42:48 »
For me, we learnt to dance in the gym, I was there 1967-1975, in Queen's House.

petermilly

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2012, 14:46:37 »
Those pictures take me back a bit. I was there in the 60s. In those days the teachers were on the stage and the prefects sat on chairs down one side.  There was a muttering of ' they are scraping the barrel' when I became a prefect. The hall was also where we all had to learn to dance during wet dinner times. The two doors on the side led out to the main dining area. Does anyone remember the Penguin club?  :) :) :)

merc

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2012, 13:49:19 »
I remember when we had school assemblies we had to sit on the floor (which could get very uncomfortable), all but the upper years I think, who sat on chairs at the back. The teachers would sit on chairs around the outside, next to their classes, keeping a beady eye on us, and telling us to "shhh!!!", or calling out our name if we were caught talking or misbehaving. I can only recall going to one school disco in the hall, that was in the first year. Also playing about on the stage, or hiding behind the big window curtains :)

merc

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 12:45:10 »
The school hall, as it is now. The outside's shown in Silkenrobe's photo of the swimming pool.

There's a dusty storage room under the stage (photo 3). I think it's accessed by moving the steps on the far right, by the poster.

lou

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2012, 07:16:35 »
I was there from 81-84 before I moved away, I was in Gordon house and I loved the school, I had learnt swimming in the school pool, and remember Mrs Robinson teaching us typing and maths class.

petermilly

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2012, 14:18:39 »
Yes I left before there was ever a pool. I remember the flat roofs and penguin club.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2012, 13:13:03 »
Thanks for the pic silkenrobe, I had left before the pool was opened, so never saw it  ( or had to use it  :) ) in it's glory,  it didn't last that long in use as far as I can see....
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

silkenrobe

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:13 »
Found this today
How the pool looked in it's former glory
Hope it comes out ok

Offline Sad Git

• Appreciation 3
    • Upbury Manor Days
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 09:13:10 »
Thanks for the pictures, Merc. A crying shame.

silkenrobe

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2012, 22:34:54 »
Anyone for a swim?  :)

Here's what the old school pool looks like now. It's been filled in and is full of undergrowth. I found one bit of the wall though (3rd pic).

Oh how sad it looks - I left half way through secondary late '78 to join Rainham girls.

The first picture shows the main school hall of the lower school. I remember standing in there on my first day waiting to be called to go to my classroom with my new form teacher and class mates - I was terrified. I was the only one from Twydall to be in my class, the rest were spread about the other 2 classes.  My class was made up of Featherby pupils mostly, as well as Gillingham junior schools - I sat next to Shane Smith and people assumed we were related because we were both Smiths :O

My first year teacher was Mrs Yeoman, she had eyes a bit like David Bowie, one being 2 different colours.  I was house point monitor and a prefect in the 2nd year.

Such a shame to see it all go to waste

Offline Janetlinda56

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2012, 20:30:10 »
That is sad to see how it looks now, can't believe I left school 40 years ago,

merc

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2012, 19:31:24 »
Anyone for a swim?  :)

Here's what the old school pool looks like now. It's been filled in and is full of undergrowth. I found one bit of the wall though (3rd pic).

silkenrobe

« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 08:55:05 »
Lyn L my fear of water was  made worst by a certain PE teacher.

It's funny, isn't it, how we have such different memories of the same person?
I have only fond memories of that 'certain teacher'. 
Saying that though, I remember my mum saying to me she only liked those who were good at sport and I was good at all sports back in the day. 
I hated swimming though, always had and still, to this day, you will never find me in the pool, be it here or on holiday, so I'm sure that's the reason I only recall the pool with freezing cold weather.  Perhaps if I had liked swimming it would have always have been warm, in my memories, when I went in?
I've yet to get to my mum's for pictures and I know she has one of me in my Upbury uniform (in colour too! lol)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines