News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upbury Manor  (Read 65151 times)

Mr. Ron

Re: Upbury Manor
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 18:51:02 »
(Reply 12, second picture)

Talk about walking over someone's grave.

The class in these photos were part of Upbury Manor's September 1980 intake - am I right Alfie68?.

At least two, maybe all, of the three pictured here are ex Barnsole Road girls I'm sure.

alfie68

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:10 »
Hi Clive

I hope your daughter liked the pic's, i do have some more, but they've disappeared, somewhere safe, :) .
When i was there, the uniform changed when you went into the fourth year (today's year ten) you also had the option of wearing grey T-shirts and sweat-shirts. Then it changed again if you stayed on for the sixth year, you could wear all black.

Alfie

Offline clive

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 00:22:48 »
Nice pictures

Well the latest incarnation of Upbury Monor is starting. It's new name is Brompton Academy. The new uniform consists of:

Black trousers or skirt
White shirt or blouse
Black jumper
There are now several different ties
The blazer is now a light grey with a blue border around the edge with the school logo embroidered on the pocket

Clive
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.......

alfie68

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 11:58:02 »
Hi, some pic's of uniform.

This pic shows a first year student from July 1981, sporting the then still fashionable narrow tie, loafers with tassels and stay pressed trousers.

In this pic, from July 1982, you can see the start of change, moving away from the skin/rude boy influenze on fashion to the pop influenzes of Madonna and new romantic style.  You could tell from one look at of the students, what music they where into. Students always seemed to find a way of expressing their individuality within the regulations.

Alfie

sturoberts1975

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 08:23:03 »
When I was Upbury (1986-1991)

Dark Grey trousers or Skirt
White shirt or blouse
School Tie (Tomato red, light grey and dark grey stripes)
Tomoato red jumper
and if you were really brave a black blazer (cannot remember more than 2 or 3 people in 5 years wearing one)

Skirts had to be at least 2 inches below the knee, and shoes had to be flat and either black or brown

Will see if I can find some photos, I have some I am linked to on facebook but not sure if I can get them on here

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 06:51:58 »
Hi Clive .

I'm pretty sure that the school team photograph is the only one that I have. My parents may have a couple in their collection somewhere, they may even have some on slides but I don't honestly know. I'll speak to them and see if they recall having any.

As far a I can remember the boys uniform was a black blazer(?) grey shirt, school tie (red-ish orange and grey diagonal strips), black/grey trousers, black shoes. Does the School not have any old photographs in their posession/archives that can help her?

PS.
The football strip was, Red and Grey Quartered Shirts, White Shorts and Red and Grey Woollen Socks, which did'nt have any "feet" in them.  They had a strip of elastic acrooss the bottom and were designed to pull up over a pair of socks worn underneath. They were AWFUL!!

alfie68

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 23:12:45 »
Hi AFSrochester

I have photo's from the eighties, but will have to did them out

Alfie

Offline clive

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 22:46:31 »
Hi AFSrochester

You dont happen to have any pictures of the uniform for Upbury Manor. My youngest daugter in currently at the school and is interested to know what it looked like...

Clive
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.......

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 22:28:07 »
Hi Merc.  :)

I certainly remember it being taken near the swimming pool.  I think all the school team photographs were taken one lunchtime as there were so many!

merc

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 21:46:54 »
It looks like the photo was taken outside the changing rooms, near where the swimming pool was afsrochester.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 15:17:49 »
Under 13's Football Team 1966/67

alfie68

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 00:55:01 »
Think your right about the fifties, was talking to my dad earlier, about upbury, He was at woodlands when it opened and they lost there headmaster and possible four other teachers to the new school.

Glad you enjoyed the pic

alfie

merc

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 22:08:42 »
What a great pic of how the school first looked :)

The School was opened in the late 50's.

I think i heard, or read, that it was first called the Great Lines School...

alfie68

Upbury Manor
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 20:26:17 »
Hi thought this old post card might be of interest. I think i found it at a jumble sale back in the early eighties, but the picture is much earlier than that. I suppose it could be from when it was originally built, which i believe was the sixties. I can vaguely remember being told a story about bricks, or a set amount of money for a brick, to be collected by the pupils towards the swimming pool. If anyone can fill in the details great, but i will try the family, see if they can remember the details, as my aunty was one of the first intake of pupils. I probably shouldn't say this but i was quite proud to go there, but on a recent visit home, was lead to believe it's rep is worse than ever, although my cousins children found it quite amusing that it was known as the unmarried mothers home when i was there. Can't repeat what they called, good job i'm broad minded,  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines