News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockyard Railway project  (Read 7852 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Dockyard Railway project
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 16:07:08 »
   at least we know this one was never built. :)

You should know better Otis - if the tunnel enthusiasts want a tunnel there, then it is only the "official" story that the plans were cancelled, when in fact they actually built them as a secret project!!! :)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:52:02 »
Hi Bromptonboy,

at least we know this one was never built. :)

It is reasonable, I think, to assume that this must have been for something special. The military used cover names for for secret plans. I think the bouncing bomb development was explained away as a mine. The wartime atom bomb project was labelled Tube Alloys, IIRC.
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:55:55 »
  :) Otis, you must be careful! Before you know it you will have started yet another tunnel conspiracy story! :)

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 19:20:09 »
Hi Bromptonboy,

to be fair, after a quick look at a map it seems the straighforward way to go. Just follow the river.

Can't help thinking that "Torpedo Depot" and "munitions workshops" are not a cover for something else.

Most munitions places I can think of are spread out over wide areas. Those underground are remote from inhabited areas. Why could torpedoes and munitions not be stored at Upnor / Chattenden, over the river ?

In 1945 the era of the large battleships and cruisers was coming to an end, as well as the sea war itself. This must have freed up huge depots at various places all over the country. So why tunnel under Brompton barracks. Very mysterious.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:13 »
Your proposed alternative route is very interesting, as that is the original route proposed when the railway through Chatham was first planned. See my post in the Transport thread.
Interesting stuff.

I get the idea behind tunnelling under Brompton Barracks to make a torpedo/munitions factory, but why on earth run the exit out that way, when there is already a perfectly good Dockyard railway track going out towards Gillingham ?

I propose a cheaper scheme, the run the new railway along Gun Wharf, then on viaducts over the shoreline, behind Staples and
the Radio station, to connect up to Rochester Station.  :)

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 23:00:53 »
Hi Merc,

but by 1945 the ones doing all the bombing were us !

I can see the point of building a hidden tunnel in a spur off the Chatham one, to run covered, all the way to the factory.

However, the plan here is to advertise the secret(?) undergound factory by sticking a new line and cutting through the Dockyard.

merc

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 22:34:49 »
I guess the tunnels would protect it from bombing.

That would have been quite a project to build, i wonder if it would of actually been built if the war had lasted longer.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 21:47:27 »
Interesting stuff.

I get the idea behind tunnelling under Brompton Barracks to make a torpedo/munitions factory, but why on earth run the exit out that way, when there is already a perfectly good Dockyard railway track going out towards Gillingham ?

I propose a cheaper scheme, the run the new railway along Gun Wharf, then on viaducts over the shoreline, behind Staples and the Radio station, to connect up to Rochester Station.  :)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 17:33:04 »
Would a copy of these plans now be in the National Archives? If not then where could they possibly be found?

cliveh

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:32:21 »
All I saw were the plans. There were no accompanying narratives. I can't recall if the plan showed anything of the Melville Deep Refuge or Fort Amherst tunnels. It would be interesting to try to ascertain the reletive depths below ground of the existing and planned tunnels. I recall the Melville Deep Refuge was exactly that ~ deep! So it could be that the proposed railway tunnel would have passed over it. Very similar to the network of criss-crossing tunnels on the London Underground. I do recall that the route of the planned tunnel took it to the north of the 'known' tunnels at Fort Amherst.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 18:31:07 »
The proposals would surely have had to mention any other tunnels running near the proposed line, we know that there are some underneath Kitcheners Barracks and obviusly Amhersts tunnels but were these mentioned anywhere that you saw?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Dockyard Railway project
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:57:12 »
While the war still raged in 1945, proposals were put forward for Chatham Dockyard that included some major railway and tunnelling projects. When the Dockyard was closing I was fortunate to get sight of the archived proposal plans. The proposal were huge! At the north end of what is now The Historic Dockyard, in the area between the Sawmills and Police House several parallel railway tunnels were to be driven in under Brompton Barracks. These were labelled up as being a new torpedo depot and munitions workshops. The new railway line serving then was to run via Tinkers Alley between One and Two Smithery's to join the existing line in Main Gate Road by the Fire Station. Outside the Admirals Residence where the line now veers towards the river, a new line would be laid to run between the Ropery and the Spinning Rooms ~ and here is where the plan got truly amazing! The line was to enter a cutting and then a tunnel. The route of the tunnel took it under Dock Road, under Kitchener Barracks, under Fort Amherst to an underground junction with the main line under the Great Lines. Needless to say the war ended, defence cuts ensued, the proposal was shelved, and Chatham Dockyard entered a period of forty years of gradual decline until closure.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines