News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Severe Weather 1987  (Read 25041 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Re: Severe Weather 1987
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 16:17:34 »

Queenborough High St.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 16:15:50 »
You asked

Rochester Bridge, sorry about the bit underneath.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 15:07:18 »
I found the newspaper souvenir Snow Special from 1987. It is rather moth eaten after 24 yrs and I hope the pics come out OK, but here's one of Luton Arches.

There are some more I will post, hope they aren't too big .

Hi Lyn L,

Are you able to post anymore photos from that souvenir special?

Cheers.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:54:36 »
I found the newspaper souvenir Snow Special from 1987. It is rather moth eaten after 24 yrs and I hope the pics come out OK, but here's one of Luton Arches.

There are some more I will post, hope they aren't too big .

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:28:11 »
I don't remember the 1963 winter, it was the year before I was born! But I do remember the 1987 one though. I was at the Art School at Fort Pitt and spent a week or two getting to and from college by sledge!  It was great fun. Just wish I'd had a dog to pull it up those hills!  I also remember that at that time there was hardly a single aluminim tray to be found in the college canteen - they were all out on Jackson Fields with some student who was old enough to know better (but young enough not to care) sliding down the slope on it!

And I remember other snowy winters as a kid when we turned the hill down from the Garrison
Church in Brompton and the footpath up the Lines from Chatham into sheets of ice with our sledges. The people living in the lower part of Khartoum Road must have cursed us for turning their only way out into a steep uphill skid-pan. I'm sure the 1979 cold snap must have been one of those snowy winters.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

oldsunset

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 21:05:14 »
heres my contrabution, boy did it snow
this was alma road, dad and hubby no1 digging us out

Alma road and trinity road

and high street

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 22:58:06 »
Colin, Just love the colour of the sky in the 1st photo of Nelson Avenue, full of menace like it's saying "I'm gonna drop another pile on you tonight"!

Here's some of mine from Davis Estate in January 1987, I was walking 3.5 miles each way to get to the Pentagon Office Block, it was pretty nasty between Toys 'r' Us and the College as the icy wind blasted across the snow fields.

Just finished the long walk home from Chatham.

This was at least 2 feet deep!

Why can't you drive in, it's not that bad in London

Maidstone Road, Chatham between the Ridgeway and Huntsman's Corner at about 8am, not a car, bus or lorry in sight.

Odds are that we'll get another cold winter again this year.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 21:44:11 »
I remember walking to college that winter withh all my tools and stuff strapped to my sled dragging behind me, and wrapped up in a double layered pure woollen cloak!  Got some odd looks from other passers by, but was much warmer than most of them looked.   
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 21:06:28 »
Yes Sheppey did get heavy snow that year.If i'm getting the right year there was a loco stuck in a drift and helicopters were used to deliver emergency supplies etc.I can remember trains again being used to deliver newspapers from the town where they were printed to Dover in our case, when the roads were impassable.That might have been 1987.

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:58:41 »
I was a service engineer then, we were pretty much restricted to the main roads and were workinhg doubled up in case of getting stuck. After about a week we had a call from a pub over the top of Boxley and the guy said if we left it about an hour the road would be open. It was- a cut about 8ft wide though snow banks about 12ft deep. All going well -I was driving -and my mate decided to yank the wheel hard over, we bounced from side to side of the cut  for about 100yds , soft enough not to dent the car though  :)  :)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:56:50 »
I think the railway line into the Island was badly affected that year by snow.We had a saying "In fog or falling snow to the mess room you do go".

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 16:49:18 »
The 1987 deep snow caused the worst cases of being cut off or snowbound or what ever in the Kent area that I can remember . I was abroad for the 1962/3 Winter and Spring lot...Also I managed to go to school ok in the 1947 winter.
   Sittingbourne was cut off for at least the first 3 days  Most of the local industry shut down. I worked at Milton pipes then And there were only 2 people in every day for a week answereng phones and trying to convince customers not to send lorries to collect therir stuff . As a lot of the country hadnt got snow they had a job as people wouldnt believe how bad it was here. We all struggled in on foot ,I looked after the maintenance keeping the oil burners going on the frost stats ( even then we had loads of leaks and bursts when things thawed out.)
Then it was call in the Main Coop (Now Wilkinsons) or the old Sainsburys to try and get some bread and milk for Mother in law and other folks in Pembury Court before eventually plodding home. I remember one morning there was a man of an ethnic origin trying to sell milk at a hugely inflated price from the back of a van by the Odeon until a couple of blokes took umbrage and he ended up rather bruised in the back of his van with no milk or payment. Much to the amusement of the bystanders who copped for the free milk.
 Then to top it all we had the Hurricane in the Autumn with no Global Warming to blame it on just poor old Michael Fish!!

rainhamhistory

Severe Weather 1987
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:56:23 »
I'm a bit surprised with the weather news saying its the worst snow for 30 odd years and comparing to 1963. From my memory 1987 was far worse than now as was 1982(?) and 1979, does anyone else remember which years had very bad snowfall/low temperatures?

Andy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines