Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Severe Weather 1987  (Read 20926 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Re: Severe Weather 1987
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 22:32:44 »
I live in Thorpe Bay. Over the water and we also had 2ft of snow that night. It had started snowing here about nightfall but nothing serious really until we were going to bed about 1am when it was really falling - the flakes were bigger than old pennies. Absolute magic. Every where was orange in the glow of the streetlights - orange sky, flakes and on the ground. So wellies on and out for a walk down to the sea front. In the morning the car was like an igloo! Further west in Essex they hardly got any. Kent of course, usually gets it worse. It didn't last for long (will have to get my diary out) BUT the difference between then and Dec 62/and JAN/Feb and March 1963 and also 1947 was the time it lasted and the temperature. Those two occasions it never got above freezing until mid March.

I was staying for Christmas 62 in Tankerton, Whitstable. We had a little snow but on New Years Day snowed so much we didn't go home to Hornchurch until the next day. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic in those days - very few had cars. I do not recall much more snow falling but we had freezing fog, and freezing rain and fantastic hoar frosts. I walked everywhere wrapped up well complete with my husbands flying boots. The children were snug, with a hot water bottle in their big old fashioned pram whose big wheels coped exceedingly well - buggies wouldn't cope! The snow man I made for them at Whitstable didn't melt until mid March. Evidently the sea froze, tho' I didn't witness that!

In 1947 I was living in Tankerton and was at Greston School which was on the Slopes. Schools didn't generally close in those days - you went as best you could. Its only Health and safety - in case of snow-balls (with a stone perhaps) or slipping over and breaking something. I walked to school on my own and had lunch at home. There was no snow at the beginning of the Jan term but when it did there was quite a lot and then the sea froze! Fascinating to see all the ice floes so instead of going straight home I went down the slopes to the beach- the floes were just out of reach, so off came boots and stockings and I waded up to my knees so I could touch (and taste) one - it looked rather like lots of soap flakes that hadn't dissolved. Got out quickly and went home - didn't do my chilblains any good! What an idiot - not a soul in sight. The majority of homes did not have central heating! Coal was rationed. Fortunately we had a coke Ideal boiler with a drop down front so we lived in the tiny kitchen and the bedroom above, which was warmer until March.

No wonder I laugh when people here in the south of England grumble about the 'bad winters' we have had since then - I tell them they don't know what they are talking about perhaps if they could envisage the weather that Central Europe is experiencing at the moment plus going on till March - would give you some idea.
By the way it was very cold in 1940 at and the sea froze at Tankerton and I sort of remember that too (was living right on the front then).

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 18:14:11 »
Oh Lyn L,  you`re so right! I wish I could go out in the snow and play like I used to, I must admit I did do a snow angel on the spur of the moment in my garden for my grandchildren, they call me crazy nan, being a bit dipsy I`d forgot I had my nightie on although hadn`t forgotten my wellies and the pictures showed my 'Apple catchers' as my granddaughter called my knickers lol.  I`m hoping the pictures will remain hidden for my lifetime but seriously I worry about falling as I have before and sat in a drain in our road for 20 minutes before someone passed and got me back up again but I still enjoy the wonder of seeing the world in white.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 07:12:53 »
I love all these snowy photo's, but ageing doesn't make it much fun now. We were going to Austria (for the snow) about a month after it came down here. It was green out there. Our coach driver took us to the top of a mountain so we could have some fun, would have been lovely but it was shrouded in thick fog so we couldn't see much. May have been a good thing as apparently the road up had very sheer sides . How that driver managed so well I have no idea. I do have some pics but you can hardly see us  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 65
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 23:57:29 »
Some 1987 photos from around Minster from dads archive

And my favourite

Makes me feel cold just looking at them :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 41
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 20:23:30 »
I remember that year well as I was able to help with my mum go shopping after asking all the elderly neighbours what we could get them at the local shop opposite the Rochester graveyard. We trudged through it and delivered the goods and later that year I gave birth on 20th December, three weeks early and in labour for only 6 minutes, to a baby girl and thinking not only had I had snow that year but the storm where we lost St. Justice church.
***I am still the child within***

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 15:51:26 »
Since this thread has been resurrected, here are a couple of pics I took - one looking down the road from the front of the house and the other from the back. It was still snowing heavily at the time.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 14:56:28 »
Well , you got there just in time then. The snow started on 10th Jan , was my B-in-laws birthday so remember it well . That should give you the date you moved in .  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 13:32:49 »
I know it's now slightly late for this post (seeing how all the snow has practically gone!) But I thought I might post it now anyway.

Last week, when the country was swamped with snow, BBC Southeast today did a special feature highlighting the 30th Anniversary of the great snow storm of 1987.

I knew it happened at some point in 1987, and therefore I knew that the 30th anniversary would occur at some point this year about January/February time, but when that came on I was a little surprised because the actual date itself somewhat crept up on me in that regard.

For me it's something of a 'double' anniversary.

I was seven years old at the time. I can remember the thick icy snow when it occurred, and it was really deep! We had a wooden sledge, and we would play for hours outside.
One of the games we played was throwing snowballs at the big icicles that hung from the guttering on our house.

My father had to walk for miles to the nearest shop just to get a pint of milk for my (then) 2 year old baby brother.

But for me the memory that comes to me the most was that my family and I walked all the way into Rochester, trudging through the knee-deep snow, to get to a shoe shop, where we all brought brand-new wellington boots!  :)

And wearing the new boots we all walked all the way back again!  :)

The other anniversary is this: This was the year that my family moved to Rochester from Walderslade.

According to my parents, we were supposed to have moved before Christmas 1986, and we had started packing up and boxing most of our stuff.
However, the owners of the house that we were supposed to have moved into had run into a few problems of their own (I've never found out what the problems were) and so they had to delay their move (and by extension ours) for a few weeks.

My parents were somewhat disappointed (but understood the reason), and so, apparently, they unpacked all the Christmas decorations and we had Christmas in our 'old' house.
And after the New Year they packed everything up again!

I can still remember the actual day of the move itself, the van pulling up, seeing our new road from the back seat of our car, walking into our living room for the first time and seeing the electric fire place...

And even the fact that, when we arrived we had to wait in the car for half an hour because the previous owners had for some reason had forgotten to hand over the keys and my father had to get them from the estate agent.

And within days of arriving and unpacking that's when the snowing started...

So whilst we were outside playing my parents were inside still sorting the boxes of stuff and putting things away.

Unfortunately none of us can remember the EXACT date in January 1987 when that move occurred. I thought that the date itself was written down in one of our photo albums but I've looked and I don't think it is.
I remember that it was snowing shortly after we had arrived, and seeing how the anniversary was last week it must have occurred within the last week or so.

And again, even though I knew that it happened in 1987, the date itself has crept up on me and taken me by surprise last week.

Either way, looking back at it now with my own memories, I still can't believe it's been 30 YEARS (3 DECADES) since that happened.

It seems so long ago now...

Geoff B

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 23:53:30 »
I remember the snow. I was then a train driver at Charing Cross. I lived in New Cross then. On the first day of the snow  I arrived at Charing Cross to take the 6AM train out to Dover Priory via Dover Marine via Orpington Sevenoaks and Headcorn. The train was packed with boat passengers.On leaving London there was a sprinking of snow after passing Hither Green it had got worse. When I went through Polhill and sevenoaks tunnel it was really deep when I came out the other end and blizzards..  I left ok and got as far as Petts Wood. I sat there for an hour as the snow plough in front of me got stuck. I followed the plough all the way to Dover. The train arcing well in the ice on the Conductor rail. My scheduled time of arrival was about 8 30 in Dover. I got there at 1700 hours in Dover Marine. I had not eaten so saw the foreman he said "could I work a train back to Victoria". As he had no other drivers. I went back up following the snow plough again which kept getting stuck. This time I went up the Canterbury East line.We got stuck again outside Faversham, Teynham, Sittingbourne, and Rainham. We sat there for about 2 hours as the plough was stuck again at Beechings crossing. I told the passengers to go and get a drink in the pub on the corner and got some fish and chips. I got them out the pub when I got the green light from the signalman at Rainham.. This was now about 10 Pm I had left Dover at 7 PM. We then moved to Gillingham sat an hour there then Chatham and Rochester. Then the points froze on Rochester Bridge eventually I got going again and we had to go via Gravesend instead of Sole St. I got to Lewisham about 4AM when one of the drivers I went to work with the previous day got on. He said you are out early this morning. I said I am still trying to get home from yesterday. They diverted the train back to Charing Cross and he dropped me off home back at New Cross station and took the train up to London.. Was I glad to get home. A day to remember that was for sure. I dont think I saw another train pass me that day. I was on duty 22 hours that day. Had I not worked the train back I would not have got home.

The following night I ran a ghost train down to Tonbridge and back and then down to Faversham to help knock the snow off the conductor rails, It was like daylight as the train flashed and crackled along the line.

Offline Rakiman

• Appreciation 2
  • Rakiman
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 07:56:59 »
I shall never forget the Hurricane and Black Monday.

The worst of the Hurricane was on the Thursday night, on the Friday I struggled to work at a local bank so I could enjoy my Leaving Party on the Friday evening, as I was being transfered to a new department, and was due to start on the Monday. Not many of us made it in, and the party was low key as most people just wanted to make sure they could get home.

On the Monday I travelled to work via a still disrupted rail service to my new job in London...........it was the banks Stock Exchange Services Department. Needless to say after the initial panic of Black Monday I had a very relaxing couple of years until things picked up.

Graham French

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 11:22:24 »
My brother in-law was living in the old Forge in Wouldham at the time and they were cut off, there was talk of on air lift to bring in supplies but I think they used barges instead [ Thank god for the old cement works dock!] He got quite desperate before this and tried to treck off to Rochester but luckily someone stopped him.
Something we still laugh about now is that previously he had ordered a load of fencing panels but had to put the lot in the fire to keep warm!

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 14:51:10 »
I also have a tale to tell regarding the 1987 severe weather. At that time I worked at the Maidstone Hospital and was due to be on-call from 5pm on the Sunday. By lunchtime the snow was getting heavy so I thought that I should make my way, from my home in Hempstead, to the hospital a little early. It turned out that the snow was so heavy that both Bluebell Hill and Detling Hill were impassable for several days. I finally managed to get home on Thursday!

Fred the Needle

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44:00 »
In 1987 I lived in Ramilles Close, Walderslade.  It's on the hill above Safeways.

We were stuck for a week and a day up there.  Safeway's must have done incredible business during that time.  They could get deliveries in as the main road was clear but we couldn't get our cars out from the top.  Guy next door to us had an irate phone call from his boss basically saying he was a wimp for not coming in to work.  So the boss then drove his new 4x4 to pick my neighbour up.

It got stuck halfway up the hill and stayed there till the thaw started  :)  If I recall correctly, didn't they get a snowplough train down from Scotland that got stuck too?

Woman in the "next" street went in to labour and they had to scramble an army helicopter to get her to the hospital.

That Monday was my eldest son's first full day at school (he's done a week of half days up until then) and I took him down to the school (Maundene) despite the fact that he was disappearing under the snow.  We were greeted by the caretaker asking us why we didn't listen to the local radio which had announced that the school was shut.  Son was most disappointed.

Our next door neighbours had moved down from yorkshire and suffered the snow and the hurricane.  They moved back the following year saying that they couldn't stand our weather  :)

But it really got the old wartime spirit going.  I made a lot of friends while digging the street out.

Unfortunately, I think my ex-wife has the photos I took.

Natator

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 22:41:49 »

Oh, right, not the weather then.

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 16:27:09 »

I remember the wrong kind of snow and that banshee wind, but remind me about 'black monday'.

Black Monday was the world wide stock market crashes on Monday 19th October 1987.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines