News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Police House in Walderslade  (Read 4404 times)

Offline hamps

• Appreciation 0
Re: Police House in Walderslade
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:21:51 »
I'm certain that when we moved to Walderslade in 1987, this house in Princes Avenue was in use as a Police Station.
(Image removed from quote.)

Does anyone know it's history, or even when it closed & became an Osteopathic Clinic?

We moved to Walderslade in 2001 and it was a police house still then for about a yr iirc.

Offline skipraider

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 14:12:37 »
Barrowboy, I lived in Wigmore from birth (1964) until around '81 or '82 and remember the Bredhurst police house well (see below), but cannot remember one in Fairview Avenue - whereabouts was it?

A secondary school friend of mine was the son of the occupier of Bredhust Police House, PC Derek May, a genial chap who patrolled his beat on motorcycle. When not on duty he could often be found propping up the bar in the Bell pub. As I recall he normally rode a Honda CB 200, although I do remember a Norton Commando as well. Both bikes were adapted for police use, with blues & twos and large radio sets with old-fashioned telephone handset on the back in place of the (cut away) pillion portion of the bike seat.

PC May was well known and well liked in the community. His beat certainly included Wigmore, which adds to my confusion as to the existence of another police house in Fairview Ave - my first encounter with PC May was before I was friends with his son - me and another friend were stopped by him whilst going "two's up" at speed on a pushbike down Bredhurst Road in Wigmore. After a firm but fair telling off and explanation of how dangerous it was he let us go on our way - of course as soon as he was out of sight we resumed our journey to the chippy in Fairview in the same manner.

The police house is still there, although it's now unrecognisable due to extensions and alterations since it was sold off in the mid-late '80s. It is the 2nd house on the left in The Street, just after the fork with Forge Lane (going towards Boxley).
Google Street View link:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=bredhurst&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bredhurst,+Gillingham,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ll=51.330719,0.575709&spn=0.019414,0.033689&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.33066,0.575616&panoid=FvoVmYAUe79b7HHrJu-XUQ&cbp=12,155.09,,0,2.98

It was a small-ish 2-storey, 3-bedroom red brick building of similar style to the photo in the first post of this thread - I'd guess 1930's construction. Attached to the right of the house was a small single-storey 'annex', this being the official Police part of the house. This was a single room, no bigger than 10' wide by 12' deep with two access doors, one connecting it to the house and one at the front, for public access. Inside the room was a front counter a couple of feet in from the front door, and behind that a couple of desks and chairs. From memory this 'office' was seldom, if ever, used as such, being much more of a storeroom and general junk depository. When I knew it the house never had central heating - the only warmth coming from the open fire in the living room and a few electric heaters scattered around the place. I remember it being very cold in the winter.

Recalling this certainly makes me think about the changing nature of the police, and as Barrowboy says local knowledge and community connection seems to have been lost with today's remote and impersonal storm-trooper style coppers.

Apologies if I have gone off-topic here.

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:48:55 »
When we moved to Wigmore, circa 1970, I can remember two local police houses, one was in Fairview Avenue and the other in Bredhurst. These really did put policing at the heart of the comunity. Now, policing is run remotely from Chatham Dockside and all the local "intellegence" is lost.

Hollands

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 19:55:40 »

I remember it.

John Marshall the local motorbike cop lived there from the 70's until not long before it closed.

He was a great guy in the community and used to run one of the cub groups up in Mafeking Park (41st Medway).

medwaymark

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 14:45:02 »
Im sure it was the late 90's it closed as a police station as i used to be the postie that delivered there mail. sorry i cant be more specific for you

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:36:08 »
I know this does not answer your question, Numanfan, but one or both of the semi-detached at the junction of Wayfield Road and Churchill Avenue were police houses in the 1970s, and it was common for each village to have its 'Bobby'. They were not 'police stations' in the accepted sense, but homes where the officer lived with his family. He probably had a desk and telephone in the living room, and a bike supplied by the police. While he would have had official 'duty hours' it was a 24 hour job as far as the local population was concerned.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Police House in Walderslade
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:30:23 »
I'm certain that when we moved to Walderslade in 1987, this house in Princes Avenue was in use as a Police Station.

Does anyone know it's history, or even when it closed & became an Osteopathic Clinic?
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines