News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Preserving Roc Posts  (Read 3603 times)

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
Re: Preserving Roc Posts
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 19:20:05 »
If you want to see what a ROC Post looked like visit the RAF Manston History museum, pick the right day and at least one of the staff was on one of the last posts to be stood doown.

carolmapley

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 17:06:21 »
Why not try and get the old Folkestone post on Crete Road and use that as an annexe to the main site? As for mockups of posts if I recall the former ROC museum at Winchester Group Control had a fully functioning mockup complete with canister of musty underground smelling odour which was released every so often to give it more authenticity!

Offline sparky230

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 19:36:55 »
60 tonnes is small fry to some of the lumps at Capel we need to shift, but gives ideas  about sheer size, spose maybe a easier idea would be if one in area is being to demolished would be to strip of anything usful and build a replica at capel, we have the abillty to dig a suitable sized hole, etc

Offline Ex-Chalky

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:04 »
Hi all reading all the posts about ROC posts has set me thinking, I have a interest in the subject from a Radio point of view as some of you are aware that several of us from Capel Battery are Radio Hams.
Well if theres a post somewhere that is in danger of being lost that could be dug out, we could gladly resite it at the battery, Have no idea if it's possible to do, but thought would kick the idea about

Best of luck with that idea.............!

Quick estimate based on approx dimensions - about 60 tons of concrete in a single great lump.
Digging that out would be difficult indeed.
Lifting and moving it to resite it at Capel - more or less impossible.
Cost of doing it - immense.

There's several of the things already preserved in original condition.
This is possibly one of the best:
http://skelmorlie.scottishroc.org.uk/about.shtml
Got an open day too, in a couple of weeks.
In the interests of preserving the environment no trees were harmed in the transmission of this mess

Offline sparky230

• Appreciation 5
Preserving Roc Posts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 22:12:13 »
Hi all reading all the posts about ROC posts has set me thinking, I have a interest in the subject from a Radio point of view as some of you are aware that several of us from Capel Battery are Radio Hams.
Well if theres a post somewhere that is in danger of being lost that could be dug out, we could gladly resite it at the battery, Have no idea if it's possible to do, but thought would kick the idea about

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines