News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Kent Commercial Road Transport  (Read 13243 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Re: Kent Commercial Road Transport
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 08:42:26 »
Can we discuss individual companies in their own threads please.  This thread is now locked.

erfman

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 23:44:44 »
We can always rely on numanfan to come up with fantastic pics  :) erfman

strangelights

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 21:38:52 »
Does any members remember George Potter Transport in South rd,Dover.?They was a source of interest for me and my mates when we was kids living in Tower Hill.We often used to play outside the yard and the fitter would often give us nuts and bolts and bits for our bikes.This would have been back in the late 60s,early 70s.I think that they shut down around 1972/73 and some of their trucks went to Priory Hill to another transport firm,maybe Thanet Transport.They used to run mainly Thames Traders and AEC Mercurys.The Depot in South rd is still there today and is now a Garage and a shop that sells grow lights etc.Would be good to see some pics of George Potter Transport as i,ve been unable to find any or any history of the company.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 20:20:53 »
I'd forgotten just how narrow that road was , thanks for the pic numanfan
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

kewtie

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 19:44:38 »
Wow! what a picture. I think it was more like the 1950's, long before my time anyway. When working for Taylor's I drove a Bedford circa 1956. It was a petrol 5 ton bull nose with a split screen. Reg No. XKE 352. Love that photo, thanks numanfan.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 16:35:52 »
Few names I recall working on from my days at Barnes & Brookers garage.
Eastwood tippers ran out of Cuxton.   Lenton Transport St Margerets St.    Swain's very big now used to have a few lorrys top of Strood Hill.   Haseldenes sold out a few years ago   Castle Transport .
Alex Shilleto turf supplier from Luton   There was a small firm out at Burham cant recall the name think it began with B had a couple of 2 stroke Commors, about where the Jet station is now anyone remember.

kewtie

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 13:26:24 »
 Hi Wardy & erfman. Thanks for your replies.

I started with H.J.T 1n 1965 aged 17. They took me on to do the Vyes grocers runs, all over Kent. I don't remember Len Pratt, He must have gone before I started. I do remember George Baker the banana man! I always got on with Jack Jameson, I think he liked me?? :)
I remember too Dick Neale who was one of the night drivers before being foreman. Vic Rivitt & I had many a pint together, some in the British Queen and some in the Bridge Wardens. We went to Fremlins Brewery, Maidstone, for a talk about the changes in the transport busyness, thinking it would be free beer but no joy. It cost me 3/7d for 2 pints of bitter so we went elsewhere.
After a while with H.J.T I was given the Strood round and Steve Crust was my mate for a while, even though we were of similar age. We had a bit of a fall out because I wouldn't let him drive the lorry round Kingsnorth Power Station.
Happy days.

Wardy

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 07:20:37 »
Hello kewtie, H.J.Taylor of Chatham, i remember very well, i was employed as a mate in 1961, my driver was Len Pratt, i did like the job although it was short lived, i was sacked!  i moved the truck and scraped the nearside wing on a wall, well if you dont try you dont learn, i was only 16 at the time...Mr Jameson the manager gave me my cards  :) :)  erfman
My uncle, Dickie Neale, was the foreman at H.J. Taylors during the 60s, my mate from the army Vic Rivitt also worked there and, my then brotherinlaw, Steve Crust also worked there for a while as a mate. I remember that the fresh fruit and veg industry accounted for a lot of business back then, all lost to the big supermarket giants now, what a shame.

erfman

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 00:20:27 »
Hello kewtie, H.J.Taylor of Chatham, i remember very well, i was employed as a mate in 1961, my driver was Len Pratt, i did like the job although it was short lived, i was sacked!  i moved the truck and scraped the nearside wing on a wall, well if you dont try you dont learn, i was only 16 at the time...Mr Jameson the manager gave me my cards  :) :)  erfman

kewtie

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 14:52:07 »
I'm a new comer to Kent History Forum but I have read a lot of interesting stuff regarding the old buses of Medway.
Also, I enjoy reading about some of the transport companies that were once in the area. One I drove for, back in the 60's, was
 H J Taylor of Chatham. I have seen "Smiler's" item on the Vyes subject and it seems we were both doing the same job.
The company was a produce wholesaler having about 20 lorries. Their warehouse was where Tesco's is now which was opposite the Ritz cinema and the good old British Queen pub.
Most of the lorries delivered fruit & veg to the little shops, and some of the bigger ones, all over Kent. About 5 lorries were flat beds with high headboards and were used to take produce to the London markets and beyond. We worked some long hours in the soft fruit season, no tachographs then.
The lorries were painted dark blue with red chassis and wheels and were kept clean and tidy.
Does anyone remember?

les freathy

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 15:09:40 »
Ellenkate, your photo of the removal wagon is that where the large block of flats are facing Dover harbour

les freathy

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 15:04:00 »
Marley were a big user of steam wagons and ran a fleet of thes Garrett wagons

les freathy

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 15:02:41 »
A photo of one of Finny Barlow and co of Gravesend, can anyone tell me more about the firm please

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:00:43 »
Welcome to the forum les freathy.I might be able to pick your brains later on.On a farm where i worked were 2 ex WW2 army lorries which i used to drive.They were both tippers.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 14:39:44 »
Hi Les,
          If you want to see Commercial Vehicles etc have a look at my mates, Bud75, Flickr site ,, I think he has photographed nearly every lorry on Kent roads over the past few years plus loads of other stuff.
                                                                                                         Rog

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines